August Hatch-A-Long

Hi! I have still air and I keep the temp at 100 and humidity between 45-50%. Humidity does fluctuate a bit, but as long as it doesn't go up or down too much its ok!
LOL...YAY!
celebrate.gif
Waiting is the hardest thing EVER!!!
barnie.gif
Chicks tend to hatch early or late so having hatch dates a day or two apart shouldn't be a problem! Now you get to candle at day 7 and see how they are doing!
Yes candling on day 7, the next step to worry about!! When you have to get in your bator, how bad does your temp go down and how long does it take to come back? What is good/bad?

I'd love to join in too please! :) We candled our 11 eggs tonight, and have 8 eggs with movement and veins! We have them under our broody hen and we're so excited! It's our first ever hatch. They could be silkies, frizzles or sizzles. They're due on August 9th. I'm looking forward to going on this journey with you all. :)

I'd love to join in too please! :) We candled our 11 eggs tonight, and have 8 eggs with movement and veins! We have them under our broody hen and we're so excited! It's our first ever hatch. They could be silkies, frizzles or sizzles. They're due on August 9th. I'm looking forward to going on this journey with you all. :)
Yeah!! Welcome! Good luck
smile.png
It's very exciting!

Welcome
frow.gif
and congrats on your eggs!!! This is a great place to get info or ask questions...and support!!! Welcome to the crazy journey of hatching...and beware..it is addicting...LOL!!!

Yes candling on day 7, the next step to worry about!! When you have to get in your bator, how bad does your temp go down and how long does it take to come back? What is good/bad?
I get in and out quickly so temp drops 1 or 2 degrees and humidity maybe 2-3 %. Last night when I candled and added some eggs in, it dropped to 95 but went back up quickly. Whenever I go in to turn eggs, I always check back 5-10 minutes or so to make sure everything stabilizes again. I also make sure my bator is out of draft and direct sun...in a room with temps that stay consistent(don't go up or down to much with air conditioning/heat ect) and it stays stable for the entire hatch
smile.png

I get in and out quickly so temp drops 1 or 2 degrees and humidity maybe 2-3 %. Last night when I candled and added some eggs in, it dropped to 95 but went back up quickly. Whenever I go in to turn eggs, I always check back 5-10 minutes or so to make sure everything stabilizes again. I also make sure my bator is out of draft and direct sun...in a room with temps that stay consistent(don't go up or down to much with air conditioning/heat ect) and it stays stable for the entire hatch
smile.png
I tried to be quick...I have my bator in a bathroom we don't use, so no draft or light. It dropped to 95 and humidity stayed, but I just went back and checked and it still says 95 but I think its because I moved my digital therm. My second therm. still reads at 99/100...I just put the digital on top of eggs and will check again.

Keep in mind that a hen gets off the nest anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple hours roughly every day so I wouldn't be concerned at all if temperature in the bator drops to 95. The internal egg temp is still way up there. As hatch approaches the embryo is also generating some of its own metabolic heat.

I just had a chick hatch a few minutes ago. There's a couple more eggs in the hatcher. When I walked into the cellar I saw condensation on the glass door so I knew something was up.

I've been adding eggs to the incubator roughly every 3 days and I got pretty lax on a few of those in recording date and time of setting. I was guestimating when to move them to the hatcher and then cross referencing with candling. I've been moving them when I guess they're about 3 days away and turning slightly each day in case they were further away. For the last 3 settings, I've kept a chart plus writing the date on the egg.

Last edited:
smile.png
Just checked again and the digital temp is reading 99
smile.png

I tried to be quick...I have my bator in a bathroom we don't use, so no draft or light. It dropped to 95 and humidity stayed, but I just went back and checked and it still says 95 but I think its because I moved my digital therm. My second therm. still reads at 99/100...I just put the digital on top of eggs and will check again.
2 thermometers is good..you want to make sure readings are correct. Also, heat rises so temps at the top of your bator will be higher than at the bottom. My temps will be 99 at the bottom of the bator and 100-101 at the top. How long is it taking your bator to get back up to 100 after you get into it? Probably moving the thermometer is why it still says 95
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom