Australians - Where are you all????

Hi I live in Australia too and I want to breed speckled silkies so do you have and blue or speckled chickens? If you are willing to sell of course. I understand if you dont.

Welcome, what part of the country are you in. I know a lady in seq who has blue/black silkies. I do not know what a speckled Silkie looks like.

Good luck.

You could ask over on the other Aussie thread - It is more active "Australia - six States .. and that funny little island "

Last edited:
Hi, We're just north of Brisbane and newbie backyard chicken owners of two 12-14 week old chicks. We got them when they were 8-10 weeks old on 29 April 2017. Hoping they're both hens!!

One of them has just started to give a little half crow a few times each morning for the last week or so. Eeek, not sure when we'll be able to tell if it is a rooster or not.

They're mixed breeds, the white one supposedly has leghorn in it and the grey one is an easter egger?! It's the grey one we're thinking may be the crower, so maybe a rooster?

If anyone has any ideas, we would love to hear your thoughts or when we'd definitely be able to tell if a hen or rooster.

I love being around them, they're fun to watch scratch around. They make such a mess though. Poo everywhere!

Cin.

IMG_5746.JPG

IMG_5809.JPG

Hello, I live in Brisbane south east area. We had 4 chickens up until this morning but now there are only 3 of them. My favorite girl who was the fun of the party passed this morning. After the heavy rains last week she started this shake in her neck and difficulty breathing. I took her to the birds and exotics clinic in Greenslopes and they gave her antibiotics. She was kinda ok until last night her breathing got worse. I took her to the animal emergency in Underwood this morning and they put her under oxygen. She was still sober when we took her there but after they sedated her (supposedly to calm her down) she went downhill and passed within an hour. I am so sad and confused. I have no idea what happened to her. I am not sure the antibiotics were good idea. She hated it everytime we gave it her. Poor little thing. I am reading about gapeworms, viral infections, etc. But how could we have stopped this and how can I protect my other three girls. Also another heart breaking thing is that in the emergency the vet was pushing us to euthanase her, and when I was so sad and confused said Ok, but she died before the vet gets ready and altho she was clearly dead (the assistant also confirmed) the vet still went ahead and injected her and charged us for that... We were so sad that we didn't even argue that just watched the needle going in her dead body in shock :(

Hello, I live in Brisbane south east area. We had 4 chickens up until this morning but now there are only 3 of them. My favorite girl who was the fun of the party passed this morning. After the heavy rains last week she started this shake in her neck and difficulty breathing. I took her to the birds and exotics clinic in Greenslopes and they gave her antibiotics. She was kinda ok until last night her breathing got worse. I took her to the animal emergency in Underwood this morning and they put her under oxygen. She was still sober when we took her there but after they sedated her (supposedly to calm her down) she went downhill and passed within an hour. I am so sad and confused. I have no idea what happened to her. I am not sure the antibiotics were good idea. She hated it everytime we gave it her. Poor little thing. I am reading about gapeworms, viral infections, etc. But how could we have stopped this and how can I protect my other three girls. Also another heart breaking thing is that in the emergency the vet was pushing us to euthanase her, and when I was so sad and confused said Ok, but she died before the vet gets ready and altho she was clearly dead (the assistant also confirmed) the vet still went ahead and injected her and charged us for that... We were so sad that we didn't even argue that just watched the needle going in her dead body in shock :(

I am so very sorry for your loss, and the situation you had to deal with at the emergency vets. To be charged for euthanasia administered after the death of your much loved bird, I believe should be reported. That is diabolical, and I can understand your shock and confusion. I hope you have some nice photos of her - I have always found framing a photo of a loved pet that has passed, to be very consoling.

...... :hugs

I am so very sorry for your loss, and the situation you had to deal with at the emergency vets. To be charged for euthanasia administered after the death of your much loved bird, I believe should be reported. That is diabolical, and I can understand your shock and confusion. I hope you have some nice photos of her - I have always found framing a photo of a loved pet that has passed, to be very consoling.

...... :hugs
Thank you for your kind message, I don't know if I can prove anything about the euthanasia but I'd report that so they don't do it to anyone else. I do have photos and a very recent cute video of her, still haven't got myself to look at them as I am still too sad. Good advice. Thank you :)

Hello, I'm not sure if this forum is the right place to post this question but from what I've seen it's pretty helpful. I used to buy Molly's Herbal dewormer (from America) and used it on my goats. It was really effective and kept them healthy and happy. However, I ordered some more and received a letter stating that the product doesn't meet biosecurity standards and that it won't be allowed into the country.

So, my question is, does anybody here know of any good Australian based herbal dewormers? I really don't want to resort back to using chemicals. I'm located in Queensland near Brisbane if that matters. I know what ingredients were used in Molly's dewormer but I'm not sure about the amounts, and getting those ingredients is pretty hard in this area, so making it isn't very preferrable. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Have you tried prices produce at rosewood. They seem to have loads of stuff and can order thing in what they don't have. Might be worth a call.

Back
Top Bottom