Belgian Cuckoo Malines - Next Generation

I really do not have roosts for mine.. their is a low... like under 5inches board in their coop, they will often get up on my deck bench which i really don't like.. they are so big so that kinda of jumping down impact is best to be discouraged.

So maybe, in the coop put a wider board at about 6 inches off the floor for them to roost on?

That sounds great! :D

I'm talking to some folks about purchasing their broody hen. I plan on raising my Malines flock with broody hens instead of incubators. One of the broody hens is a Silkie, I wonder if a hen like that would be to small for these huge birds??? What size of egg do the Malines lay?

I'm talking to some folks about purchasing their broody hen. I plan on raising my Malines flock with broody hens instead of incubators. One of the broody hens is a Silkie, I wonder if a hen like that would be to small for these huge birds??? What size of egg do the Malines lay?
I've had a hen lay a large (56-62gms) egg consistently, but more were XL - Jumbo eggs. So a Silkie wouldn't be able to hatch more than 3, I would think. I don't see a problem with a small, broody hen raising a few large chicks. They're both docile breeds. :)

I had great success with an experienced BSL hen & her 2 grown daughters. They raised them all in the coop with the whole flock. By day 3, all moms took their Malines chicks out to free range. They did a great job!
1f60a.png

Got a brooder full of these babies
jumpy.gif
so far very happy with these... they are almost 5 weeks old and getting quite big compared to the Ameraucana's with them! LOVE feathered legs!

Back
Top Bottom