Belgian Cuckoo Malines - Next Generation

Shellz

Songster
7 Years
Jan 19, 2013
Scugog Municipality, Ontario, Canada
The next generation from my first flock. :D
From day olds to currently 2 weeks old. The dads suffered some frostbite from this harsh winter season, but over 50 eggs are developing in the incubators as I type! :D We had some roasted cockerel culls over the winter & they were fabulous! Dressed out at 5 lbs each at 24 weeks. Could've done them sooner - weather wasn't cooperating. Hoping to grow out larger birds this time around.

I do have some roosts at about 30", I will address this.That was not my largest Roo out of that bunch, so will probably process @ 16 wks next year, These are now my bird of choice. We have 14 hens now, so should be able to put a nice number in the freezer next year. Bonus is they produce a huge egg.

I remember posting to your other thread last year just shortly after finding out I was part Belgian.

Your babies have certainly grown up!!   Very nice!!

Is Malines pronounced as Mal-in-nuh?   That is what it sounds like in one of those online pronunciation sites.

I also remember you saying they may not be the best for hot weather.  Do you know of anyone who has had success raising them in heat?
Yes, I remember you. Welcome back. :)
They have grown well & been a very nice flock to raise. I am getting Bielefelder hatching eggs as well soon. Another breed quite similar to the Malines. Malines is pronounced with a short a & long i. Mah-line. Hope that makes sense. :p

We had some heat last summer, but probably nowhere near your temps. Up to 30+ C. Malines were chicks at the time & tolerated the temps well. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone raising them in hot climates. I would suggest to be prepared for ways to cool the birds. I've heard folks use shallow pans/bowls/tubs with cold/ice water for their other breeds to stand in. Enough to get their feet wet. Shady areas & maybe a misting hose in the yard. You could contact Greenfire Farms & get their input on this matter. They may have some good suggestions. :)

Shelly I also have a foundation stock from Bart Nagel that are now producing our first set of chicks. We have had a brutal winter up here in North Simcoe County so we had some egg freezing issues briefly but otherwise did you find your birds laid almost the entire winter through? We had eggs from Bart's first test hatch last year so they turned 6 months in August and started to lay late September-October and have been remarkable since. Our first hatch is now two weeks old and we have another set pipping now, a group set that will pip out for the big Easter hatch and one that I just set today :) I would be interested in an outside roo if you have any spares you are interested in selling or trading as we only ended up with one roo making it last May when we went away we had someone looking after out chickens and they failed to close up the grower house and a raccoon got a good portion of our youngsters, leaving us with only one Malines Roo. Like you I have fallen in love with this breed they are remarkable, the size alone is impressive but their docile nature is a welcome change and their winter heartiness makes them an awesome choice for our cold climate...we still have 10 foot snow drifts at my place but the Malines still love to go out every day snow or not...some of my less hearty birds would just look at the door and hunker down in some of the weather we have had this year but the Malines were not the least bit turned off. 

If you are interested in selling a roo I would love another outside male

Cheers

My first Malines are made up of 3 different age groups, about a month apart between them. They started laying around 6 months of age. So yes, I would say they have laid steadily since end of Jan. I've heard it's not uncommon for some to take a little longer though.

Hatching is quite addictive. ;) Please feel free to share your pics here. :D

Unfortunately, I do not have any spare roos at this time. So sorry for the loss of some of your birds. Its heart-wrenching! I'm glad you're enjoying the birds you do have - yours seem to like the cold better than mine do.

My Maline eggs from Bart Nagal are due to be shipped Monday! 2 dozen of them plus 2 dozen Barnevlders and the incubator will be FULL..

Awesome! :D
Same goes for you! Post your pics here, please! :D

They are just four weeks on Monday. Love them so far! They are all business in that run- Flies don't stand a chance. Really great to see.

That's our Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppy in the last photo - he's 5 mos old now. He was hopeful that this was yet another of mum's creative places to leave a squeaky toy. A whole little chicken run full of squeaky toys, in fact. He was disappointed in, but accepting of, the answer. :). He does all of our chicken chores with me every day. Thanks! He is adorable!

:lol: Squeaky toys! Hopefully the novelty will wear off over time. ;)

Thanks Chadsky! :) This fox needs to be gone! I'm all for deterring, but this one is too brazen & not intimidated by my dogs. Anyway, here's some pics of the 8 week olds. Using my iPhone until I get a new camera.

Old line cockerel

New line pullet

Old line pullet

New line cockerel

All yellow traits are fading out, as I suspected they would. ;) Remains to be seen which new line cockerel I'll keep. I have one more that wasn't cooperating for the camera. :p

Thanks for your reply. I did hear back from Sunbird Farms and they said they have a waiting list, but eventually should have availability.  Being the impatient chicken-:drool :drool addict that I am, I wanted them NOW...:hit Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait.

I know exactly what you mean. ;) I waited a year, but these birds are worth the wait! :D

Back
Top Bottom