Belgian Cuckoo Malines - Next Generation

Shelly I also have a foundation stock from Bart Nagel that are now producing our first set of chicks. We have had a brutal winter up here in North Simcoe County so we had some egg freezing issues briefly but otherwise did you find your birds laid almost the entire winter through? We had eggs from Bart's first test hatch last year so they turned 6 months in August and started to lay late September-October and have been remarkable since. Our first hatch is now two weeks old and we have another set pipping now, a group set that will pip out for the big Easter hatch and one that I just set today :) I would be interested in an outside roo if you have any spares you are interested in selling or trading as we only ended up with one roo making it last May when we went away we had someone looking after out chickens and they failed to close up the grower house and a raccoon got a good portion of our youngsters, leaving us with only one Malines Roo. Like you I have fallen in love with this breed they are remarkable, the size alone is impressive but their docile nature is a welcome change and their winter heartiness makes them an awesome choice for our cold climate...we still have 10 foot snow drifts at my place but the Malines still love to go out every day snow or not...some of my less hearty birds would just look at the door and hunker down in some of the weather we have had this year but the Malines were not the least bit turned off.

If you are interested in selling a roo I would love another outside male

Cheers

Shelly I also have a foundation stock from Bart Nagel that are now producing our first set of chicks. We have had a brutal winter up here in North Simcoe County so we had some egg freezing issues briefly but otherwise did you find your birds laid almost the entire winter through? We had eggs from Bart's first test hatch last year so they turned 6 months in August and started to lay late September-October and have been remarkable since. Our first hatch is now two weeks old and we have another set pipping now, a group set that will pip out for the big Easter hatch and one that I just set today :) I would be interested in an outside roo if you have any spares you are interested in selling or trading as we only ended up with one roo making it last May when we went away we had someone looking after out chickens and they failed to close up the grower house and a raccoon got a good portion of our youngsters, leaving us with only one Malines Roo. Like you I have fallen in love with this breed they are remarkable, the size alone is impressive but their docile nature is a welcome change and their winter heartiness makes them an awesome choice for our cold climate...we still have 10 foot snow drifts at my place but the Malines still love to go out every day snow or not...some of my less hearty birds would just look at the door and hunker down in some of the weather we have had this year but the Malines were not the least bit turned off. 

If you are interested in selling a roo I would love another outside male

Cheers

My first Malines are made up of 3 different age groups, about a month apart between them. They started laying around 6 months of age. So yes, I would say they have laid steadily since end of Jan. I've heard it's not uncommon for some to take a little longer though.

Hatching is quite addictive. ;) Please feel free to share your pics here. :D

Unfortunately, I do not have any spare roos at this time. So sorry for the loss of some of your birds. Its heart-wrenching! I'm glad you're enjoying the birds you do have - yours seem to like the cold better than mine do.

My Maline eggs from Bart Nagal are due to be shipped Monday! 2 dozen of them plus 2 dozen Barnevlders and the incubator will be FULL..

Awesome! :D
Same goes for you! Post your pics here, please! :D

Hatch #4 is set! :D As you can see, other eggs have been included, but will be distinguishable from the Malines. I am doing a fertility test with 11 new line Malines eggs. By 10 days, we should have a good idea about fertility & embryo health. :)

OMG, I failed chicken math. :p That's 16 new line Maline eggs, not 11. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
***Candling Update***

Day 6 & 7

I have 9 very active, new line Malines embryos! :weee
Also, in my genesis, 43/45 old line Malines embryos have made it this far. These are from my own foundation stock, originating from Bart last year.

I remain cautiously optimistic. :p

Back
Top Bottom