Belgian Cuckoo Malines - Next Generation

Thanks for your reply. I did hear back from Sunbird Farms and they said they have a waiting list, but eventually should have availability.  Being the impatient chicken-:drool :drool addict that I am, I wanted them NOW...:hit Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait.

I know exactly what you mean. ;) I waited a year, but these birds are worth the wait! :D

I know exactly what you mean. ;) I waited a year, but these birds are worth the wait! :D

I'm beginning to wonder...I lost the first pullet because she would get so into chasing bugs that she'd walk up to the dog that luvs chik'n tenderz and squawk when the dog went for a taste. She tested one too many times. The other "pullet" is now challenging all the young cockerels and chasing them, AND she keeps getting distracted by bugs. I keep having to herd her and the OEGBs away from the dogs. The OEGBs can fly but all Veloci can do is lumber with flapping wings. Of course that's what I find so appealing about her. I just hope she lives through her belief that she is a diminutive flying OEGB. ;)

My Malines were the best free rangers I ever had. Having said that, they cannot fly & I had fox problems this year. What I have left are being yarded for their safety. Thankfully, it is a very large fenced yard & they've been safe ever since. Malines are no match for a chicken-hungry dog either. Best to isolate the dogs from the birds so there are no more opportunities for dog muzzle to beak contact. I have 2 mutts that protected my flock until the clever fox discovered ways around them. :rolleyes: I will no longer free range & I'm keeping my numbers way down. If we could afford a larger livestock guardian dog(s) that would be the only way I could free range the birds again.

Hello all! Writing from here in the U.S.A. Jalocha hen farms is located in Michigan and has a wonderfull homestead. We recently acquired the malines breed and hopefully this spring we will hatch out some

Duh! I hit the send button. Anyhow, I hope to have some stock of hatching eggs for those stateside for breeders with interest. We dont have a web site, so private messaging would be best.

I am planning on starting a flock of the Malines in the spring of 2015. I don't know to much about the temperament of the breed. I started with the Black Austrolorp from a hatchery and I have a small flock of them. After doing a lot of research on breeds and breeders I came across the Green Fire Farms website and was immediately inspired by their farm. I'm planning on starting my flock with chicks ordered from them.

My Austrolorps are really gentle so I want to make sure I've prepared the barnyard before I receive my Malines chicks. What has everyone's experience been with this Breed?

My Malines were the best free rangers I ever had. Having said that, they cannot fly & I had fox problems this year. What I have left are being yarded for their safety. Thankfully, it is a very large fenced yard & they've been safe ever since. Malines are no match for a chicken-hungry dog either. Best to isolate the dogs from the birds so there are no more opportunities for dog muzzle to beak contact. I have 2 mutts that protected my flock until the clever fox discovered ways around them. :rolleyes: I will no longer free range & I'm keeping my numbers way down. If we could afford a larger livestock guardian dog(s) that would be the only way I could free range the birds again.

Hi there, I've been emailing with Brice over a Sunbird farms about getting some Malines hatching eggs in the spring. How are you liking the birds you purchased from there?

I didn't get my stock from Brice. I live in Canada, so I got my stock from the best breeder I know, Bart Nagel of Ontario. The Malines are gentle giants - very docile & good with other birds of similar temperament.
1f60a.png
I haven't heard a complaint yet from anyone who owns Malines.

I didn't get my stock from Brice. I live in Canada, so I got my stock from the best breeder I know, Bart Nagel of Ontario. The Malines are gentle giants - very docile & good with other birds of similar temperament.
1f60a.png
I haven't heard a complaint yet from anyone who owns Malines.

I appologize, I thought I saw a post from you saying that you had gotten them from Sunbird Farms. I'm very excited about getting the Malines and Brice @ Sunbird has been very friendly and professional. Do you know if there is ever any broodiness with them?

Back
Top Bottom