best hatchery for salmon faverolles?

I've seen very good reviews about them and I ordered 15 chicks from them to come May 21, 2013 for the first time, so I hope they're good! One more thing: I would order to a hatchery pretty close to you in warm weather to hopefully decrease DOAs.

Funny enough, this can work against you. When the chicks are going to a further away destination, they seem to be taken directly to the airport, flown to the destination's shipping hub, and then delivered via mail. They seem to often make it to distant locations faster than they do to areas within a few hours of the hatchery. When I ordered from Meyer, it took 3 full days even though I am only four hours drive from the hatchery. Whereas I've seen people on the west coast get them next day.

The best scenario is where you are within an hour or two and can drive to pick them up in person.

Last edited:
I am looking to get a light colored Faverolle chick, also. I was going to order one (along with Sussex, Australorp, and maybe BO), but I prefer the lighter (peachy) colored ones. Anyone have any suggestions where to buy it? I'm not looking to own more than 3-4 chicks...and I live in Massachusetts. TY

Honeyandhens....I'm curious how your pullets turned out. I have 5 from McMurray and at 1 week old they all have dark grey wing tips. I sure hope they didn't send me 5 roos.

Honeyandhens....I'm curious how your pullets turned out. I have 5 from McMurray and at 1 week old they all have dark grey wing tips. I sure hope they didn't send me 5 roos.
Did you order straight run or pullets? Pullets will have grey wing tips. What do the rest of the wing feathers look like? Are there any body feathers yet?

I ordered pullets only. They are close to 2 weeks old. No body feathers yet. I don't remember my past pullets wings looking like this. They are very fluffy, which I was glad about. Let's see if I can upload a couple pictures.

You can see why I didn't call it black...its really more of a blue/gray color. Is this appropriate for pullets?

I ordered pullets only. They are close to 2 weeks old. No body feathers yet. I don't remember my past pullets wings looking like this. They are very fluffy, which I was glad about. Let's see if I can upload a couple pictures.

You can see why I didn't call it black...its really more of a blue/gray color. Is this appropriate for pullets?
For hatchery chicks it could be I suppose. In looking at the other wing feathers that have come in I suspect it may be a cockerel. I would also expect more feathers at 2 weeks, which also makes me wonder. Cockerels feather in more slowly than the pullets.

When the chest feathers start to come in you will know for sure. Black will mean male, white/cream/salmon will indicate a pullet.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. They shorted me a chick too, which I wasn't going to complain about since the always send 1 extra (of a different breed though). But IF these are all roos they are definitely hearing from me.

Thanks for the help keesmom.

Last edited:
I guess I'll just have to wait and see. They shorted me a chick too, which I wasn't going to complain about since the always send 1 extra (of a different breed though). But IF these are all roos they are definitely hearing from me.

Feel free to post pictures on the Faverolles thread too as they get older, if you still have questions about their gender. I sure hope they didn't send you all cockerels. McMurray isn't exactly inexpensive.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/268082/faverolles-thread/13190

How did this turn out? I just got some faverolles from the hatchery and was wondering about one of them being a roo.

Back
Top Bottom