Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I've been on the fence about my roo's color, splash or light blue. You can see in these pics he is considerably lighter than my blue hens, but darker than my splash ones.

A friend did the first hatch a few weeks ago and ended up with half blue, half splash. He is over 2 blue and 3 splash hens.
Maybe a light blue after all???

That's what I had settled on too until we did the first hatch. With 3 splash and 2 blue hens I thought the hatch would have been mostly splash. When the hatch numbers wee even splash and blue it got me questioning his color again. Either way doesn't matter to me. He is great with the girls and very easy going, that's why I kept him and not the others. I had blue, black, splash and him to chose from.

He looks splash to me too. It's random chance what proportions of each color you will get with a hatch of that size. Last year, i had a blue rooster with 2 blue hens and 2 splash hens. I had a few hatches that were 100% blue. I also had a few hatches that were almost all splash. If you flip a coin 10 times, you might get heads 75% of the time. If you flip that coin 100 times, it will be closer to 50/50. I would assume that he's splash unless you start having black laced chicks hatch.

I know mixing is not ideal, but I have a mixed flock I need to thin. I have BLRW an I am wondering if gold laced or silver laced breed better with them. At the moment I have a silver roo, however, if I wind up with a BLR roo I'm going to keep it.

I had a splash roo and one black hen (100% blue offspring) 4 blues (50% splash/50% blue) and two splash hens (100% splash offspring). For the first few hatches I got almost all splash chicks, every hatch with just the occasional blue chick from November through this last hatch (March 15).

He looks splash to me too. It's random chance what proportions of each color you will get with a hatch of that size. Last year, i had a blue rooster with 2 blue hens and 2 splash hens. I had a few hatches that were 100% blue. I also had a few hatches that were almost all splash. If you flip a coin 10 times, you might get heads 75% of the time. If you flip that coin 100 times, it will be closer to 50/50. I would assume that he's splash unless you start having black laced chicks hatch.

That is all true. Whatever color is fine with me. He's just such a good boy.

Back
Top Bottom