Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

yes, I think you are right... if I were you I would try to selectively hatch to identify which hen is throwing the single combs. can be quite complicated to do, I know! you would need to trap nest and mark the egg, then separate the different hen's eggs at hatch time too. OR hatch from only 1 hen at a time.

I would NOT breed the single comb chicks that have hatched, or even sell them personally.. I would cull.
I agree. You could also dye the vents. Sorry about your single comb babies. They're cute, though! :)

At this point I think they will be black.
I keep hoping to hatch a black pullet or two just sonunhave all three colors, but so far no go. I've had a couple of black Roos but did not keep them.

Well, I guess I'll just breed them to the splash roo I might keep and get my blues next year, hehe

My girls are 5 weeks old now!! How do you think they're looking, as far as coloring and lacing?

Since I can't just upload from my phone anymore.. I'll see if photobucket works.
Correct me if I'm wrong on the color guessing..
Splash

Blues..

Black??

Last edited:
I think you're mostly right...

it's hard to tell black and blue apart imho.

for blacks, look at the back of their head, and their back stripe. also, look at their bellies.

my blues will have red back stripes and red heads, with some yellow on the belly.
my blacks will have black back stripes, black on the back of their head, and gray/black bellies (next to no yellow)

I think the two with blue arrows are blue,
I think the three with red arrows might be black, but you'll have to inspect them in good lighting in person to tell!

Edited to add: every genetic line is different, so how I tell them apart might be different in another genetic line!

Last edited:
Alright professionals I've got to make room for my chicks. Before I find a new home for this guy is there ANY chance this is a pullet at almost eight weeks old? He has the biggest wattles but the smallest comb but is a medium pink color

Back
Top Bottom