Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

How would you rate this lacing?

a
Yes, those would be Roos. What age are they, my Roos got combs and wattles at 2 weeks and all my girls had some tiny redish wattles at four weeks,

They are 5 weeks. A week ago, I didn't see any differences between them. Now two of them have a bright pinkish red comb and tiny red wattles. In the last couple of days, a third chick's comb has turned pink too but not as bright, and no sign of a wattle yet. I thought I posted a pic with my post but I do not see it, I will try again!

So many people seem to be asking about the sex of their birds. I think all lines may be somewhat different, mine are a mix of lines and certainly I have trouble sexing birds sometimes too...but from my experience, when you have at least 10 chicks or so to compare...the first to show color or get bigger combs or wattles are always cockerels. There may be some cockerels that are late bloomers but the ones that color up first are your definite roos. It's testosterone that gets those combs and wattles to grow and turn red and you just aren't going to see that on pullets sooner or as soon as your earliest developing cockerels. Later on it can get confusing especially if you have birds a few weeks apart in age as a fast developing pullet can be confused for a slow developing cockerel. If anyone has seen anything different with their birds please let me know, but otherwise I think this is good advice.

I've got 3 different age groups growing out so I've been watching for ways to tell the sexes apart. With mine I'm finding the girls back and tail feathers come in before the boys and the boys legs are thicker than the girls.

Within days of my post, both chicks' wattles and combs grew darker in color and larger in size so definitely roos. All 4 chicks are dark in color. I know the blue in BLRW refers to the breed and they can actually be blue, black, or splash. Could they end up being blue or are these definitely black?

Last edited:
So many people seem to be asking about the sex of their birds. I think all lines may be somewhat different, mine are a mix of lines and certainly I have trouble sexing birds sometimes too...but from my experience, when you have at least 10 chicks or so to compare...the first to show color or get bigger combs or wattles are always cockerels. There may be some cockerels that are late bloomers but the ones that color up first are your definite roos. It's testosterone that gets those combs and wattles to grow and turn red and you just aren't going to see that on pullets sooner or as soon as your earliest developing cockerels. Later on it can get confusing especially if you have birds a few weeks apart in age as a fast developing pullet can be confused for a slow developing cockerel. If anyone has seen anything different with their birds please let me know, but otherwise I think this is good advice.

Sexing as with anything , comes with experience . There are different stages and I think that depending on your ' powers of observation ' the early indicators can be overlooked. With mine at a few weeks of age the chicks that are looking rump less are cockerels the next indicator 4-6 weeks are combs and wattles. Compared to silkies , I find sexing my Wyandotte and Sussex a breeze. :D

Back
Top Bottom