Bobcat grabbed hen not 5 feet from me!

there is a pig picking in Smithfield this week end I am going to be at
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
I am related to some folks through marriage down that way
I left the scraps all week and found prints this morning with missing scraps. Anybody have any good ideas on how to lure the darned thing out so it can be dispatched?

Beaver meat and castor are a bobcats main weakness, google beaver meat castor,bobcat lure , bait​

First, very sad for your hen. Imagining what that was like for her is painful. And second, the diner will be back soon and so somehow your birds need to be penned for awhile in the hopes that the pred will look for greener pastures elsewhere.
So sorry about all of it.
JJ

Obviously it was very hungry.

Get a live trap and hand it over to wildlife resource folks in your state.

I`ve gotta tell ya that animal control and the wildlife people are completely worthless in most areas, when it comes to things like that. In my experience, a trap(large one) and a gun are about the only way to deal with a bobcat. The gun is only usefull to kill the cat after it is caught because, like animal control and the wildlife people, the gun is never there when you see the cat. My success has been with a large trap and using a fresh carcass as bait. After a good meal, the cat may not show again for a couple days, but it will be back. Buy or borrow a trap, it will pay for itself.........Pop
IMGP0478.jpg

IMGP0476.jpg

Shame that the very one's that collect a paycheck from the taxpayers don't have the "time" to be of any real assistance when needed. That's the reason we have to learn to be proficient and skilled at so many things - do-it-your-selfers! Don't know if you know how or desire to use a steel leg-hold trap but a good ole #2 coil-spring trap set in the edge of the woods flush with the ground level and lightly covered with leaves, securely staked or wired to a sapling will do the trick. Take the end wing section from the hen and hang it approx. 2 ft. above the trap then scatter some sardines in the area around the trap. The aroma will bring the cat in and the wing fluttering in the breeze will cause it to jump to catch it and step in the trap. If because of your's or neighbor's housecats or dogs presence make this impractical then just use an x-tra large live trap as seen in the previous post. Bait it the same way and sould get the cat as they aren't really that trap shy. Hope ya get 'em!

Beaver meat actually helps to explain another reason that this thing may have shown up. We have a creek in the woods that some beavers call home.

I haven't been able to find a cage large enough for the cat to fit in as it seems most of them are the right size for possum or coon and not tall enough for a bobcat. The pics that lollipop posted look like they do have them somewhere. Any information on where we might be able to buy or borrow one is appreciated.

Bill

Quote:
Because chickens are delicious! (too early for humor?)

I'm sorry for your loss... however, I hope you don't just shoot the bobcat. I would call both agencies and see who reacts the fastest. Tell the dept. of Ag. that these are livestock chickens... not pets. I would tell the fish and wildlife that you have children or have neices and nephews that are over alot and this cat wasn't afraid to attack it's prey just 5 feet away from you.... both should jump to action then.

If you say I have pet chickens and no kids... neither one would put you on priority.

ETA:
Some areas... most. have private companies who trap and release wild critters. You might want to try the yellow pages (that is if the govt. doesn't seem interested)

Last edited:
To those that e-mailed and PM'ed me, you know my answer to this. It is time to call on 2 good
friends, Mr. Smith & Mr. Wesson and let them handle the problem. For anyone that has had a bobcat come that close, they have a real problem. Yes, you do need to worry about your chickens and livestock. But is you have any SMALL CHILDREN, you need to be doublely worried. A bobcat as a coyote will atatack a small child. If you trap this cat, kill it. This is the only answer to any predator that comes this close to a human. They have lost all the fear and are much more dangerous than one that will run at the first sign of a human. An animal that is lost is hurt to take, but a child that is lost is worst.

Back
Top Bottom