Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

As of now all 6 are eating, drinking and getting more energy. They still sleep more that the ones I have had two days longer but hey, you gotta sleep to grow.

I will keep you updated on how the progress. They are suppose to be all females but one looks awfully tall and skinny compared to the other 5 short, puff balls. I know you can't really tell this young though.

I do hope more people try to breed quality birds of the Brabanter (regardless of it being recognized show breed)... My little Brabanterd are turning into the most affectionate chicks we have, regardless of their start.

It has need a tough week for these 6 ladies. They were shipped, chilled, over crowed and driven around prior to settling into a permanent flock. And, they all seemed tired, 2 sick and 1 very sick.
This little lady has a special place in my flock. She fought hard to be here today. My daughter and I took turns feeding her and giving her fluids.

She finally decided to perk up on her own. And ever since she has slowly been gaining energy and growing. But, she must know something. Because every time I pick her up she turns and sleeps. And she sits on my hand just hanging out (even though I am braced for her to jump). So far, this little lady is the most affectionate chick of my 29.

Last edited:
I do hope more people try to breed quality birds of the Brabanter (regardless of it being recognized show breed)... My little Brabanterd are turning into the most affectionate chicks we have, regardless of their start.

It has need a tough week for these 6 ladies. They were shipped, chilled, over crowed and driven around prior to settling into a permanent flock. And, they all seemed tired, 2 sick and 1 very sick.
This little lady has a special place in my flock. She fought hard to be here today. My daughter and I took turns feeding her and giving her fluids.

She finally decided to perk up on her own. And ever since she has slowly been gaining energy and growing. But, she must know something. Because every time I pick her up she turns and sleeps. And she sits on my hand just hanging out (even though I am braced for her to jump). So far, this little lady is the most affectionate chick of my 29.
Congrats on the recuperation of the chicks. Good luck!

I'm wanting to understand Brabanter colors. If I put a Gold roo over Cream hen I will end up with....?

Gold carrying cream gene or a split X% cream/ X% gold or just spattered messes?

I suspect it's gold with cream gene, if that is so, when I get to an F2 cross, off spring breed back to gold, would they remain gold or start to show less uniform coloration?

Thanks!

We have quite a few potential breeders! Please please please have a good cockerel in here somewhere.
Oh my goodness! I hope you have a good cockerel in there. Where did they come from originally? I could always add more for sure!!!! I love how thier waddles look while growing. Here are two of mine with a Wellsummer pullet on the left.
Also, @Torch404 I am interested in coloring too. I hope someone has an answer for you.

I'm wanting to understand Brabanter colors. If I put a Gold roo over Cream hen I will end up with....?

Gold carrying cream gene or a split X% cream/ X% gold or just spattered messes?

I suspect it's gold with cream gene, if that is so, when I get to an F2 cross, off spring breed back to gold, would they remain gold or start to show less uniform coloration?

Thanks!

I think w cream brabanters it's the recessive cream gene working w gold (ig/ig). If that's the case, then a full cream (ig/ig) crossed with a gold split to cream (Ig/ig) will give you offspring with 50% chance of being cream and 50% chance of being gold split to cream.

There are a couple other ways to get that cream color. A rooster with silver split to gold sometimes shows it as cream coloration. Or the columbian gene can dilute gold. The Columbian gene will also push a spangle out to the edge of the feather, making a wide band lacing rather than tear drop shape.

Last edited:
I think w cream brabanters it's the recessive cream gene working w gold (ig/ig). If that's the case, then a full cream (ig/ig) crossed with a gold split to cream (Ig/ig) will give you offspring with 50% chance of being cream and 50% chance of being gold split to cream.

There are a couple other ways to get that cream color. A rooster with silver split to gold sometimes shows it as cream coloration. Or the columbian gene can dilute gold. The Columbian gene will also push a spangle out to the edge of the feather, making a wide band lacing rather than tear drop shape.
Thank you Phoreda! That is really helpful. I love the crest on your avatar!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom