BYC Café

Thanks IM, I have another one that is truly Blue!
View attachment 1825379
but I kinda like the blue/green color and the true Green color of the melanistics...
View attachment 1825381
there's also quite a variation in every melanistic that I have ever hatched. The Blue color of these were from parent birds that were totally green, so :idunno
Here's some more color variants of the Green melanistics.
View attachment 1825436
View attachment 1825437
View attachment 1825443
Some males may have a white ring or no ring or a incomplete ring around the neck.
Lovely looking fowl Sean. I think I agree. I rather taken by the metallic blue green look.

A good late morning to the Café. Hit the ground running early this morning. Trained two dogs and mowed half the back yard, and now it's coffee time. Brewed a fresh pot - have at it. Ball game last night - good game - boys lost 3/2. The other pitcher was slightly better, but both teams played well. Two more games tonight.

Gorgeous birds, Sean. I had some melanistic ringnecks as a kid, but not that beautiful. Can you post pictures of some of the hens ? Mine were a uniform rich chocolate color.
Yep, you are correct, sir! Of all the hen pheasants I think the melanistic hens are the prettiest. Here's a few pics of hens and some more of the various iridescent feathers that appear when the light strikes the plumage just right.
100_4137-1.jpg

100_4137-A1.jpg

100_4139-1.jpg

100_4195.JPG

100_4077-1.jpg

Immature green melanistic male
100_4083-1.jpg

100_4101-1.jpg

100_4113-1.jpg

100_4191.JPG

And a Black melanistic hen
Blk mel hen rd wattle.jpg

Last edited:
They are awesome! Maybe I will replace the turkeys! I had a poor hatch this year.
Thanks Cap, none of my melanistic hens layed a single egg this year? Haven't a clue why not...all my other birds layed. Last year they layed nearly all year long...go figure that one too!

Maybe they were tired out?
Idk....4 or 5 years ago, my Black melanistics did the same thing, layed the entire year, then took a break for about 3 months and started laying again. I sold them soon after they started laying again, so don't know if they quit for good or not?
They shouldn't be laying that way, their seasonal breeders.

Back
Top Bottom