calling for -40 tomorrow

frow.gif
floyds knob, is that KY.? i dont get out much. lol
LOL...no, it's Indiana, kind of in-between Georgetown and New Albany. I'm not a native, so only know a few places in IN, so Madison caught my eye...have bought hay from around those parts.

oh yes, i have gone todrs. in new albany. thats where targets, meijers all the good shopping is. lol there is a large outdoor flea market up there somewhere i have been wanting to hit up !!

Well, so far so good. They are doing ok. I am contemplating removing the cardboard from the window, at least the top half to allow some light and maybe some warmth in.

I have 4 coops outside and a recently finished small scale coop inside my feed shed. Some non-chicken folks may laugh like crazy if they were to see my "winterized" coops! Let's just say I love to reuse feed sacks for wind breaks along the runs and over any cracks in the sides of the houses:) I used zip ties in one coop to enclose part of the run with a wall of feed sacks so the chickens in that one would have a better chance of surviving. They are 11 week old Mottled Houdans, Buff Laced Polish and Crevecoeurs- some breeds notoriously not cold hardy. They have done well out in the coop since feathering out at 4 weeks old but our temps are running about like yalls for the next few days. Today -8 with windchill, tomorrow -25 with wind chill. I don't worry about all of the other breeds I have but remind myself that all of my chickens have houses etc so they aren't actually in those temps. Hunker down and stay warm everyone!

Also- waterers weren't frozen solid in these lower temps this morning yet in the teens and 20's some of them froze solid! Go figure;-)

We're also in Northern IN (on the state line) and worried sick, but all the girls made it. There is over a foot of snow on the roof and I think that might have helped overnight as well. We did keep a heat lamp on all night and will do so until Wednesday. We too were surprised that their water wasn't frozen. All that extra straw really did help.

Well, they all made it with no problem. Let them out alittle today, it's a balmy 9 degrees. I think this summer I will do some remodeling in the coop. Gonna use r19 in the walls and cover it with fitted plywood. Also going to put a double paned window in with screen to replace the old window....maybe mock up a frame to put over the run to give it kind of a greenhouse look. Just glad the extreme cold is over.

Back
Top Bottom