Caponized roo personality

Pics
The pellet implant is called Suprelorin and I was told by the vet that it costs about $100 and lasts 3-6mth only. But it is really hard to find a vet willing to take the risk with surgical caponisation.

Yes, bantams certainly sound different- ... with only the one bantam it may come down to if you have nosy & complaining or wonderful neighbors; but even with that, I would imagine at anytime you could be told he will have to go & likely harder emotionally for her then than now. There is a lot to think about (we just went through the ‘too many bantam rooster ‘ issue also) I wish you nothing but the best & if I had to guess about a post surgery Roo: I would think it would cut down on the aggressive type instinct action only- I doubt crowing would fall under this. Have you tried searching the forums for past articles about this? I know others have asked before you

Hi, we live within City limits, so can't have roosters. If I get my daughters pets caponized, will they still crow? Does it mellow them out?

Thanks
I saw online recently that there is a no crow rooster collar. It’s not a shock collar. I have more research to do on it because I think one of my chickens is a rooster.

I think you will have better luck asking this in the meat section, ppl there look at them less like pets. I have read some great posts there on the subject. Seems that crowing will stop, get bigger, softer meat, some are maternal towards chicks, definitely less aggression.
Purple_grape84, we don't caponize birds that we raise for meat. We raise them for about 7 to 8 weeks, they don't start crowing at that age, not my birds anyway.

Hi, we live within City limits, so can't have roosters. If I get my daughters pets caponized, will they still crow? Does it mellow them out?

Thanks
I run a farm sanctuary and have explored this with roosters rescued from cock fighting and here is what I have learned. The surgery can be risky but if performed by an avian vet can have a reasonable chance of survival. That said- it doesn’t work. One of the largest national farm sanctuaries did autopsies on 10 roosters who were canonized and had died. In 8 of the 10 their testes grew back. They no longer do the procedure. I hope you find this helpful.

The pellet implant is called Suprelorin and I was told by the vet that it costs about $100 and lasts 3-6mth only. But it is really hard to find a vet willing to take the risk with surgical caponisation.
Back “in the day” that I was talking about, it cost only pennies per bird. They sold home kits, the metal insertion tool and a bag of pellets for likely less than $10. Such would do 50 or 100 birds.
A $100? My God, talk about inflation!
Of course, that was 70 years ago!

Thanks

I have read they might die if you have this done. If I were you I would get rid of the rooster. If you only want eggs to eat you don't need one. I did not have a rooster for a long time until I started raising chicks.

Another reason besides crowing not to keep a rooster, is that, as their hormones come in they can be very difficult teenagers and adults. BYC pundits tell us that this is more likely to happen in birds that are coddled and not taught boundaries as chicks. Time and time again you see the lament, What happened to my sweet boy?

I am in kind of the same situation my grand daughter and I live in town and can't have a roo or as many chickens as we have :D. Then springs comes and I had to have a few chicks and we ended up with a sultan roo. Now he is the most beautiful thing even! He is only 9 weeks and crowing but so sweaky right now I don't think anyone can tell. I was outside talking with one of my neighbors this morning and he started up and she thought it was one of my quail lol :lol:. I hope he stays this quiet. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom