Cascade Layer Poultry Feed, Organic...Anyone use?UPDATED: Got my feed!

They get Cascade and I offer oyster shell free choice on the side regardless. The girls take in what they need. That way I don't have to be too concerned about diluting their overall calcium intake with treats & greens.

Quote:
Hi Amy,

The Cascade Layer formula has the same average calcium as most layer feeds: 4.95% Calcium - min 4.55% Calcium - max 5.00%. That is a standard amount from what I have seen in most layer feed.

I also give free choice oyster shells so my hens can add if they need to.

I don't have enough experience to comment on adding the barley and oats.

Mine have been on Cascade, mixed with their old food, for about a week, and I've just switched over to pure Cascade. The only problem I have is that one of my hens "rakes" the feed to get to the chunkier portions and the finer part is tossed to the ground. I have put a wide crock under the feeder to catch the finer feed, and that is helping.

I'm very happy so far. MakNugget, I do think their droppings look better!

Carpe DiHen, that's a great tip to put the dish underneath to catch the extra feed the hens rake out. I usually use pellets for this very reason but I realize that I won't have this option if I switch to Cascade. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Amy, you and I must be pretty close to one another! I am in Tehachapi. Do you mind sharing where you are? There is another lady here in Tehachapi that is doing something similar to your friend, except she uses the Rogue feed, not Cascade.

Yes, she is the one who suggested the Cascade through Azure. I currently use and organic feed from Hemme Feed on South Street. It's good and only $24/50# bag. But I like the fact that the Cascade feed has no corn and you can actually see whole parts of the ingredients. However, I was trying to reduce my cost, not increase them!

We are in BVS. Thanks for visiting my blog. I think I saw that it was you who joined yesterday? I look forward to getting to know you!

Quote:
Hi again Amy and WildflowerJLH!

Wow, guess what, I have relatives that have a true old homstead (land from the government!) in the Tehachapis. My grandfather and great-grandfather each got 160 acre homesteads in 1920 just outside of Frazier Park on Boy Scout Camp Road. My grandfather tried to raise apples, but it was too cold, so he switched to turkeys. Three generations of my family raised turkeys there until just the last few years. They had 100,000 birds there a year at their peak (contract with Zacky Farms at that time). But it all started out as a small family ranch. I never lived there, but it is where I spent all my holidays when we were in the country (Air Force brat). I always wanted to be a ranch girl so I guess that is why I now have my 6 chickens and bunny on my mountain acre in "the other" Sierra Foothills
smile.png

There is something about that Pinon Pine country that is in my blood.
love.gif
The family ranch is at 6500ft, it is magical up there.

I love my Ponderosa acre too tho
smile.png

Last edited:
Wow! Small world. And how interesting to know that info on the turkeys. Have you ever thought of raising some yourself? If I can ever get my act together, I want to try some Heritage Turkeys. Just an FYI... It's apple season here in Tehachapi right now...

I probably should have read all the responses but didn't so I hope I'm not repeating something. I've been feeding the Cascade from Azure for some time now. I switched from a local (Zamzow's) feed that was all natural but not organic so who knows what that means. I was concerned about waste when my girls started scattering it all over so we started adding water & vinegar or more often, raw milk or yogurt. I didn't transition them and they loved it from the start. I love that there is no soy....and you can smell the peas when you open the bag.

I was concerned about cost too but adding liquids makes it a mash and they don't waste any so it lasts longer than even the pellets. I only have 3 hens so that may make a difference but I'm sold on it.

Back
Top Bottom