Chicken Breed Focus - Isbar (Blue Isbar)

I am on my attempt number 2 of hatching Isbars...my first attempt of 3 eggs (under a broody) had no developed eggs from the Isbars (the Isbar-Marans Olive egger hatched and is now laying lovely olive eggs...the chick is in my avatar).

My 2nd attempt to hatch another 3 Isbars ended in a horrible overly long hatch (days 23, 24 and 25) with weak and spindly chicks...1 died after assist, 1 survived after much treatment and still has some toe curling, the other I finally had to cull due to hock tendons slipping creating splay leg...even after splinting continued growth created more weight than the bird could handle.

So, I've ended up with one Blue pullet which I hope to breed to a Barnevelder for Olive Eggers if she looks "clean" enough and healthy enough....I will be closely watching these Olive Egger results to see if I have any other issues.

I am very keen to have Isbars in my flock, but I personally have encountered hatching and chick viability issues.

I got my hatching eggs from a reputuable local breeder who got hers out of the southwest....unfortunately some of those inbreeding genetics may be still a problem in the breed and something to watch out for.

LofMc

B]

This is my sweet rooster Blacktuss! Super friendly and likes to be carried around by the children

<slaps forehead> Just what I needed - another breed to drool over! Do you people who put these spotlight on breeds know how much it costs to continually replace drooled on keyboards?
lau.gif
gig.gif

You are just too funny!!

Wow, super pretty breed! Another added to my list of "must haves"!

I understand...it just keeps getting worse doesn't it?

And here I was trying to keep my list down to 4 or 5. What was I thinking?
idunno.gif

I love the splash ones (although nothing at all wrong with the others). They are really eye catching.

Back
Top Bottom