Chicken Breed Focus - Orpington

Pics
How small is the eggs that these gals lay? I'm looking for a winter hardy breed that lays small to tiny eggs so I can make small pickeled eggs.
They are laying a reasonable sized egg. Alot larger than a regular bantam egg. 
DSC_0148.JPG

I used to pickle eggs and the best were from my quail.

To me there is no other breed like the Orphington they are excellent mothers and can get very broody.My mom had all Buff Orphingtons and had raised them for yrs before passing away in 2010 so I took up her traits but instead of the Buffs I went for the Lavender blues and Splash and just like the Buffs they are an excellent breed. They are great egg layers also although it's said they lay around 180 eggs a yr my mom's hens laid halfway through winter time and would stop for a few weeks then back laying again, As for my hens the blue and lavenders lay just as good it is now January and they are still laying daily.I highly recommend this breed their temperament is excellent very calm, Although SOMETIMES not all the time lol the Roos may get alil aggressive the hens are so very calm and very sweet.
They're all so pretty! :love Are the Splash a type of Lavendar? The colors look similar other than the splash of black.

Are the BOs an acceptable breed for warmer areas? My BAs (also a large-ish breed) have always handled heat/humidity well, likely due to their larger combs/wattles. EEs not so much. My DOMs have done fairly well with hot summers, too. I'm in Central TX where weather extremes are not uncommon, both cold and hot. Doing my best over the years to keep everyone comfortable regardless of the temperatures!

Are the BOs an acceptable breed for warmer areas? My BAs (also a large-ish breed) have always handled heat/humidity well, likely due to their larger combs/wattles. EEs not so much. My DOMs have done fairly well with hot summers, too. I'm in Central TX where weather extremes are not uncommon, both cold and hot. Doing my best over the years to keep everyone comfortable regardless of the temperatures!
Mine did good in the summer, and she was a BIG girl, lol...I'm also in Central Texas

Back
Top Bottom