chickens as pets?

paduanchook

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
McDavid Florida
County Declares Chickens Are Not Pets. (Seriously, They Did)
September 12, 2008
Can a chicken be a pet, or is a chicken just a farm animal? In Escambia County, chickens have now been official declared farm animals and stripped of any hope of being legal pets.

The legal status of chickens was considered by the Escambia County Commission Thursday morning at the request of Commissioner Gover Robinson. Apparently, some “cultures” consider chickens as pets, causing things to run afoul when when the fowls end up with the same rights in a neighborhood as cats and dogs.

“You and I many not see chickens as pets, but there are other people that do,” Robinson said. “The question is, if they don’t infringe on their neighbors, is there the ability for them to have it.”

“It’s a gender issue,” Commissioner Mike Whitehead said. “If you allow the chicken, the hen, then you have to allow the rooster.”

“It’s real simple; we just say no. They are farm animals,” Whitehead said. “I understand about diversity. But when you come to America, chickens are farm animals. I’m sorry.”

“The motion is that we reject the request to classify chickens as pets,” Whitehead stated.

The motion passed 3-1, with Robinson voting against it and Commissioner Marie Young absent

I understand their reasoning in ruling that the chickens are farm animals, but nobody's going to tell me that my chickens aren't my pets!
wink.png

I had to come back and add that I find it very interesting that this statement came from a man,
"It's a gender issue"

Typical!
lol.png

Last edited:
i didnt think legally they can do that...i am obviously wrong...

but what ever happened to freedom of religion..and culture is a big part of religion...

(i dont want to start a big religion debate here just stating my interpretation of the charter of rights and freedoms)

why do you have to have a roo if you have a hen???? Sounds like someone's misinformed or pulling an argument out of his rear. And must have had a bad childhood experience with chickens. LOL!

There is no way that my spoiled rotten city chickens are anything but pets. If it jumps on your lap and coos at you to pet it, it's a pet.

Those guys have some serious issues.

Back
Top Bottom