Christmas in October block Swap

Dragonfly tutorial

List of fabric, sizes and how many you need
The top two are the borders just plain, you can adjust that to any border you would like, the inner pieces will be 8.5 inches

The two 4.5 squares from background need to be folded diagonally and pressed.

The 2.5 squares from background need to be folded diagonally and pressed also

The 2.5 squares from wing fabric needs to be folded in half diagonally and pressed

The body fabric is 4.5 square both folded backgrounds need to be placed over the body fabric, right side up on body fabric. Both folded edges need to touch

Mark the 1/2 point of the butted triangles

Secure the edges stay in the seam allowance

You can't see well in this pic, but the mid point is secured w/ a zig zag on "0" so a zig zag in place.

Lay out all your body and wing pieces w/ covering folded triangles in the position shown
At this point the folded triangles need to be secured to the wing rectangles, use the same method as the body.

or if you are extra confident you can secure w/ pins. Then right sides together sew each wing set together. The rectangles are the true edges always differ to them if not the same as the triangles.

Press all seams open, they are extra bulky

Sew the head, and 3.5 x 1.5 background together, then sew that unit to the 3.5 x 4.5 background.
Then sew all together like a 4 patch.

Now you are ready for the borders, you can use the simple background borders in the fabric list or fancy them up to anything you want.

Attach all borders before turning edges.

Press turned edges and pin in place

Top stitch along edges of rolled triangles

Trim to size and admire your work

OHhappychicks. I want to share my sewing room with you. My cutting table is a God send. We found 2 old cabinets (was told that came from the chemistry lab) at a flea market. My dh cut the tops off added costers and we used floor laminate for the cutting surface. I recently added and fold down ironing surface to one end.
My machines sit on a secretary desk and because of the size or desk and CT they are close and I can just turn from sewing to ironing. It is amazing. Thank you DH. Love it.

I have 4 of the 16 pieced and quilted (qayg) I will either place the squares as a flower or a pinwheel, won't know until I get more of them finished. But here are the first 4

This is my son and his tiny wife whom he adores. This was heart rending emotion from these two as they welcome this sweet baby into the world.

This was her comforting her emotional husband. MY baby. Lol

Anna6, love your blocks, you have such a good eye for color. I tried to send this yesterday but BYC would not take it.
hu.gif

Haven't you said before that you have a Go cutter or another one? which is easiest on the wrists, I'm having more trouble all the time seems like. I might have to invest in one very soon, maybe black Friday would be a good bet. So I need input
big_smile.png
I own a Sizzix fabric cutter. http://memorieshearthappenings.blogspot.com/2010/08/sizzix-fabric-cutter.html

I can use any of the sizzix dies, all the fabric dies for the Accuquilt Go and most of the dies for the Accuquilt studio on my Sizzix Pro Shot Quilter's Edition.

Accuquilt Go is a pain to crank and the Accuquilt studio dies are cumbersome, large and heavy.

Accuquilt does now have an electric fabric dies cutter and is well worth a look if you have sever problems with cutting and or can't crank at all. You can use all the accuquilt Go dies but none of the Accuquilt studio dies. Several friends just got this machine and they like it.

Accuquilt Ellectric cutter-
http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/go-bi...s3DWQztllxKV2fqljj3jtiCZfBSM5cMHWYaAl_a8P8HAQ

for the Sizzix Pro Shot you want to buy the Quilter's Edition.
http://www.scrapbook.com/store/sz-6...a_K-2Ei-LNHwj-a0XOkVB0Q3E-75RuGmxAaAh608P8HAQ

Please feel free to contact me by pm. I use both Accuquilt and sizzix products. I made some mistakes with purchasing and hopefully I can help cut down on the confusion.

http://www.sizzix.com/catalog#q=Sizzix quilting

Last edited:
katsdar, I have not used one of these type machines, but I have watched several on utube that used the puck setup and knew that for me they would be very irritating. I would get fed up with the pauses to move it and my fabric. Just my opinion. Hope you get the machine you want.
Hi,
Thanks I am still sitting on the fence, but when you going to spend that much money you better get exactly what you want. To me it's a once in a life time purchase.

I have the last set of blocks :clap  I will sort tomorrow(tuesday) and ship on thursday/friday, wednesday is a holiday    :celebrate  I get to eat free all day!!!! yep I'm a vet.  :drool  

Thank you for your sacrifice and service...I'm sure it wasn't easy. Never met a soul who said being in the military was a cinch! So thank you again.

Last edited:
I think this quilt and blocks are wonderful ! I'm too busy to even turn around right now I'm doing the Bonnie Hunter Mystery too, only half size this year though. Plus several others under construction. Baking and freezing pies for Christmas dinner.
I'm wishing all of you a great Holiday Season.

Back
Top Bottom