Consolidated Kansas

https://www.kansasforests.org/documents/conservationtrees/Price List.pdf

That is the Ks Forestry seedling price list.  There are trees/shurbs that would be great to plant for poultry to use to escape from winged predators, wind breaks, etc.

Thanks so much for this info! Believe this is where my parents bought trees for a shelter belt they grew on the N side of some property they own. Put it in 20 years ago (I had to help water the babies) & you wouldn't believe how big the evergreens are now!

Trish I notice you mention guineas I've been trying to read about them not finding too much. Do you let them free range? We had terrible tick problem last year and wanted at least 6 guinea. Can you share some info on them please. Like what kind of housing? And anyone else feel free to jump in
. Also any info on duck I want a few pecking

Michelleml guineas can be raised right along with chicks. Same basic rules to raise them and house them...as long as you get them as chicks. As an adult bird you would have to keep them cooped for a couple months to get them used to sleeping in a coop. If you leave them to roost in the trees you will probably loose them. I have one girl that keeps laying but she thinks she is a chicken and is in a coop with chickens and no male in there. I was going to build my original hoop coop for guineas and use their existing pen for something else but I need more breeding space for other chickens so I think they will get the first hoop coop. Guineas do like nesting on the ground with some straw or something rather than lay in a nest box or something. They are always busy eating bugs. I have some that free range and some that I keep in pens for breeding.
I also have pekin ducks. Ducks in my opinion are the easiest birds to keep. If you confine them they can be messy. But I let mine free range. They know where their house and food is and where I put water for them. Other than that they just make the rounds. I love my ducks. You must have water for ducks deep enough that they can stick their entire beak in it. This is the only way they can eat and breath. Without water to rinse thier nostrils they would suffocate on their own food. You don't have to have a pond for them although they really love being able to get in and splash. They'll find any puddle of water and use it to their benefit. I use plastic snow sleds for my ducks because they hold enough water they can play without being deep, plus they are tilted so little ones can get out safely. Baby ducks can drown or get chilled and die so you need to introduce them to water that they can get out of safely.
A duck will imprint on you if you only have one and you will essentially become it's mother. Case in point. Ask Deerfield about Chopper. He was my imprinted duck. He now is King duck on Deerfield acres. I would suggest whatever you do you have at least 2 ducks because they need company and a human just can't be there all the time.
My two little Sebbies are in the bins with the chicks. They look huge comparatively. I really need to find a place to set them up a bin of their own. They are noisy little things! I sure hope to have lots and lots more hatch. I'd like to get some more girls for myself this year.
My house has gone to the birds totally right now.
I sure wish I had a nice big heated garage. Of course there would be no room for cars in there.

I think the major predator is the Hawk out here in western Ks.. I just wondered if you find it necessary bury down around the edge or not.. ?
or what other things i should consider...
I don't have any input for your answers... Sorry. However, I'm surprised to find someone else from Western KS on here. Whereabouts are you? I'm in the Goodland/Colby area.

@Trish--

I have 3 sfh eggs in the incubator-eggs were and still are coming in very slowly. 1 is sched to hatch on the 31st the 2nd incubator i believe is a week behind that(my dad trying his hand at hatching) so i am not sure the exact date--will keep you posted.

Sarajoy, I'm so thrilled to hear your little Roo is doing so well! I'm just amazed he's got both eyes open and going strong. That's just great! That's very interesting stuff about how the Pyrs go through certain developmental phases.
Thanks... Yes, I can't believe it. His one eye looks a little shrunk/wrinkled around the edges, but its open, and the eye is tracking. The other one is less red now, too. He was out and about with the other juveniles today like nothing had ever happened.

I felt to mention the stuff about pyrs, because though they are wonderful/bright/loving dogs and excellent guardians, people assume they can just turn them loose with their chickens and be protected. And if you do that, sooner or later you're going to lose chickens to the dog. Then people blame the dog - but never understood that they were the ones at fault, because they hadn't trained the dog to work with chickens, and supervised the process from the adolescent phase. There is also a reality that some specific pyrs (and other LGD's) are a better fit for chicken guarding than are other individuals of the same breed. Its great if you can buy a dog from a breeder who has a working farm with chickens, and has enough knowledge both to sus out which dogs are the best fit for which kind of guard work, begin that training, and then offer you some input on how to carry it on in a successful way. Sara

Quote: Wow, RoosterLew - I went and looked up that article last night, and it was really informative, plus, all kinds of additional information. i signed up to follow the blog. I did a get a bit confused though. The article suggested NOT using apple cider vinegar. Apparently there are two kinds of fermenting, and the kind with ACV is in the author's opinion not healthy for chickens?? But folks here are using it and seeming to have great health benefits. It also suggests not using yeast. It mentions a couple possible "starters" for the "right" (in their opinion) form of fermentation - but says it will happen just with the microorganisms in the air, simply by adding enough water to first be absorbed (swelling) by the feed and then covering it. Those of you using the ACV might want to read the article and I'd love to hear your feedback. Before reading the article last night I had already started a batch with ACV, so I guess I 'll see for myself how that works. Sara

x2 I have one too, and it is very well made.

Thank you Trish and Sharol - guess I'll have to further contemplate this decision.... sigh...
Actually, am thankful there are several good options to help with this. I'll let you know what I decide on once I can figure it out for myself. Sara

I have to disagree with you Sara Joy on the LGD. I believe it is more what they are bred for than anything. You either have a dog with good instinct or you don't. My dogs protect the property and what is on it and it doesn't matter if it is a goat or a chicken. They are keeping what belongs safe and what doesn't out. A firm NO! as a puppy will teach them to leave them alone. I've not lost any birds to a dog and I've had lots and lots of puppies around here.
If you shut them up together as youngsters in a small area, you are going to have problems however, because boredom will take over common sense. Once that dog has reached a certain stage of maturity it will understand what to protect. I believe that exposure to things like chicks is the only way for a dog to learn what is okay and what isn't.
My older dogs came from goat stock as puppies but I keep my pups trained to chickens, ducks, and such beginning at birth. A LGD will pounce toward a bird from time to time for fun but a good dog will never grab one. Pyrenees are naturally food aggressive so they may chase the chickens from their food bowl, but the chickens learn equally as fast they aren't going to get hurt and come right back. We will have to agree to disagree on this matter I guess.
Hi Chicken Danz - I respect that this is your perspective and experience. I think I used to think the same thing, until I began to interact with other "working LGD" and specifically pyrenees owners and breeders on several yahoo lists. I did so not only for more insight into my Danny, but in preparation for choosing a female partner for him and breeding/raising at least one litter of puppies. There are several things I can respond to in your post. One of them is that you have adult dogs. When you have adult trained dogs, THEY train the puppies - including to listen to and obey you. Yes, instinct is important, and most pyrs have the guardian instinct - but some more than others, and some more inclined towards certain guardian tasks - ie chickens versus goats. If someone purchases a pyrenees and doesn't realize that once the parent and/or alpha dog on the breeder's farm is no longer present, they need to become alpha, then there are going to be problems. It is because people don't realize this that pyrenees have gotten a "bad" name as chicken guardians. They can be excellent - some more than others. But any of them can be trained. If that training is not provided - including the consistent "NO" you give your puppies when they are behaving inappropriately - then there are likely to be problems - particularly with chickens. Pyrenees were bred to guard goats and sheep. That is in their genes, bred over hundreds if not thousands of years.. And guarding "their" human folk, particularly children. But working with chickens is not inbred in them. They can easily learn to transfer their innate instincts to whatever animals you choose to have them guard. But it does require learning. MUCH less training and intervention when an adult alpha working dog is present and involved, modeling and demanding appropriate behavior. The heartbreaking thing about all this is that there are so so many people puchasing pyrs (and other LGD's) without knowing what is involved. The result is the dogs being abandoned or turned into shelters, where more often than not they are put down, since it is not deemed often prudent or successful to place a former/failed "working dog" into another working farm. And most family homes are not set up for a pyr's needs. They can make excellent pets, making the family members their "guardees" - but pyrs are not happy without a job. And if the family members are working out of the home, as is the case with many/most families these days, the dog gets lonely and bored and can become destructive. So people on the lists I am participating on who are involved in the rescue process with pyrenees BEG that people do their research first, that they find breeders who understand what is involved in training a pyr when it comes to poultry (biggest reason a pyr is turned in at a shelter is that the dog has killed a chicken). Almost any pyr can be taught how to work with poultry - but if not taught it is the luck of the draw what will happen. And way way way too many pyrs are being put down needlessly. So, yes, I do feel strongly about this. That being said, it sure sounds like your dogs are being introduced to poultry guarding in a best possible way - with you reinforcing the training provided by the parents. And I think folks getting your puppies are lucky to be getting ones so well exposed. But even with all that, there could still be later issues, if the purchasing farm does not have adult working dogs to keep the puppies in line when they are no longer under the parent's supervision - and particularly as they go through the adolescent stage that almost all pyrs go through. I'm not making this up - there is a ton of information out there, whole books and training guides, and lots of information available online as well. I guess I really really want folks to know that pyrs can be GREAT poultry guardian, but that it requires knowledge and work on the owner's part. I don't want any more pyrs needlessly being put down for killing a chicken, when noone taught them not to....
I'm glad that hasn't happened with your dogs - or with mine. But it does happen. Sara

Back
Top Bottom