CRAIGSLIST: Dumb stuff callers say when answering your listing

I have a few...

One wants my chickens but doesn't have a coop. Wants to hold.

(This next one should have been a red flag because she had already been farm to farm shopping)...
She wants 4 chickens and 2 dairy goats. Wants one of the goats bred then after breeding, decides to cancel the goats (sticking me with MORE goats and an extra milker). She takes the chickens and keeps them a few months then contacts me again to tell me that chickens (4) are "just too much WORK!"...wants me to re-home them for her!!! Thank goodness she didn't take the dairy goats!!! She also insisted on getting an invoice so she can write the animals off on her taxes.

Many ask to come for a tour just to get ideas.

I once spent way too much time educating a newbie who asked if a 3 sided fence would work. He wanted me to contact him a few months later...I foolishly did. He said, oh thanks for all your help, I bought chickens and goats from someone else.

Another buyer never heard of people eating their chickens! Looked at me like I had 3 eyes. She wanted to know what they tasted like etc. She then asked if we were ever out driving around could we bring her a butchered chicken. Yeah lady, we drive around everywhere with butchered chickens in the car. LOL Yeah right!

Others write asking for husbandry advice. My goat is dying etc...

I ended up selling off my entire goat herd because I just couldn't waste anymore time corresponding to CL emails...it's the one major drawback of owning dairy goats....Craigslist emails!!!

I now have filled the goat pens with poultry.
love.gif

Sellers PLEASE be weary of Craigslist buyers.....

There are thieves EVERYWHERE! Most people are honest and have good intent but there are those few...they'll come to your house to buy a bird and then when you least expect it...you'll wake up one morning and EVERYTHING will be gone! I learned the hard way. NEVER again!
You are right about this - after a few too many weird interactions and people who took my address, said they were on the way "right now" - only to never show up, I stopped letting people come to my house. I meet people at a Starbucks near my home, and I explain to my buyers that for thier safety and mine that I do not allow visits to my farm. I also make it a point to tell them to bring the exact amount in cash, as I do not carry cash, and cannot give change. I also tell them that when they get to the Starbucks to call or text me, and I will arrive 5 minutes later. I ask them for thier car's description, and I don't give out mine. I know it sounds paranoid, but I have learned this the hard way.

Another buyer never heard of people eating their chickens! Looked at me like I had 3 eyes. She wanted to know what they tasted like etc. She then asked if we were ever out driving around could we bring her a butchered chicken. Yeah lady, we drive around everywhere with butchered chickens in the car. LOL Yeah right!

I was looking for some rabbit cages a few years ago. The woman who I bought them from (paid cash, full asking price) asked me if I had any dressed rabbits with me that she could have "to taste"...
When I told her we didn't carry dead rabbits around with us.. she told me I needed to return later that day with five dressed rabbits... to give to her for free!..
I explained to her several times that I didn't have any fryers available (and if we did they would be in our freezer).. just new kits and the breeders... so she said for me to butcher any five and bring them over...

Needless to say she didn't get any rabbit from me...

Apparently she thought we should be in the free rabbit meat business...

My personal favorites:

Caller gets to house to buy button quail;
-"So how do you take care of these?"
-"So is this a type of chicken?"
-"Here, I brought a plastic bag to put them in." (yes, this has happened)
Get call two hours after caller is scheduled to pickup;
-"You were in Illinois, right?"
-"Would it be ok if you just drop them off at my house?"
-"I read something that said that these smell bad, so I changed my mind."

And best/worst of all...

"Do you accept credit cards?"
smack.gif
smack.gif
smack.gif

It feels good to vent that anger...

P.S. I had a heated argument with my friend over whether or not button quail count as poultry. I said no, he said yes. Any opinions on this?

Back
Top Bottom