CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Barred Rock should have a gene, as it has been explained to me, that turns the black and white, on and off, on and off. (what I know about genetics wouldn't fill a thimble) This gene is also related to slow feathering, as this all takes time. Our Barred Rocks took forever and a day to feather in. They literally still has bare butts at 7 weeks of age, when a utility Rock would be all feathered in at 6 weeks.

You'd almost never know these chicks were 8 weeks old, if you weren't used to this slow feathering process.

Last edited:
When you look at a barred feather, it should be straight lines and have black at the tip of the feather. When the barring does not look clear you will find that the bars are not straight .....they are "V" shaped.

Walt
is the "V" shape because they are heterozugous for the barring trait, instead of homozygous?
Karen

I've stayed quiet so as not to clutter up the thread, but since there is a question of interest I want to speak up and say I have also been following along since the start and want very much for this thread to continue!! I want to know everything y'all OTs and Masters know about chickening!!

I've already learned one frustrating but very valuable lesson from this thread. I have one rooster left, one that we were sure was a pure BO as we were told when we bought him. Now, there is absolutely NO doubt that he has Leghorn in him, and is probably hatchery stock - which we were assured he was not.

I learned this via thedragonlady's/OSUman/LacyBlues discussion of combs. After reading that, I went to let the birds out this morning and sat in the coop really LOOKING hard at him - not just his health and vigor as I usually do, but everything about him. Then, I came back and looked at the SOP for both birds and I tell ya, if that roo hasn't got Leghorn in him I'm a monkey's uncle!
he.gif
Everything about him, other than his coloring, screams Leghorn in looking at the two different breeds side-by-side. It was such a surreal, AHA! moment that it made me catch my breath a moment.

Please keep this thread going, your knowledge is so vast and invaluable - I'll soak up anything you wanna throw out there!

Thanks,
Maven
Maven,

I'm so sorry you had that light bulb moment regarding your Roo.The sad thing is that so many breeds have been bred into the BO, that you're constantly amazed at what pops out of the stew pot. Mostly Rocks and Wyandottes in SOP birds, but that Leghorn influence is seen in most hatchery BOs.Much smaller, busier, agressive birds with combs on the males going straight back, not following the outline of the skull. Not many hatchery birds have much of a skull to follow though.

PM me, and let's see what we can do to fix that, if you have BO girls to breed him to.

When you look at a barred feather, it should be straight lines and have black at the tip of the feather. When the barring does not look clear you will find that the bars are not straight .....they are "V" shaped.

Walt

Isn't it barred when it's a straight line and cuckoo when it's shaped like a V?

Quote:

Dick Nieuwland of Thorndale, Ontario has several very successful varieties of Rocks including Barred, standard size and bantam. I think you will find his lines are all over North America (including south of the border.) (Although, sadly, I hear he is seriously liquidating his flock at this time.)

I encourage you to check out the Barred Rock thread on BYC .... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/399477/barred-rocks-good-shepard-poulty-ranch/20. His name is mentioned there.

Fred, I didn't mean to indicate that body type is different between the varieties, just that to find barred plymouth rocks in good quality is hard here. I can't really take a white and make it barred. I like them alright, they just aren't my favourite. There is just something about the barred plymouth rock that intrigues me.

Yes there was a very nice white Rock at the Canadian Nationals, but it doesn't hold the same feeling to me. I know you are a huge fan.

You actually CAN take a white and make it Barred without much difficulty at all!!! Speak to Dick about it.
hmm.png

Dick Nieuwland of Thorndale, Ontario has several very successful varieties of Rocks including Barred, standard size and bantam. I think you will find his lines are all over North America (including south of the border.) (Although, sadly, I hear he is seriously liquidating his flock at this time.)

I encourage you to check out the Barred Rock thread on BYC .... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/399477/barred-rocks-good-shepard-poulty-ranch/20. His name is mentioned there.
If I look up his name and with rocks in it, I find nothing. Frank Reese, I find tons and tons of pictures of drool worthy rocks. Same with Stukel. Can you direct me to where I would contact him?

We are having Canadian Nationals in NB next fall, and I would seriously consider his rocks if I could visually see his birds. Pictures are good enough, though I know it probably doesn't do the birds any justice.

Do you know who had these rocks at the national?

aoxa, Oh, my responses were not directed at you. I'm aware through our previous discussions about both your desire for a Barred Rock seed trio and your difficulty finding it in CA.
I feel your pain, somewhat. The Whites are NOT that easy to find here. The Standard has the weights. Again, call me old fashioned, but the Standard gives the weights for a reason. To me? It is important. Trying finding White Rocks that are as true to size/weight as they are to type.

Tell ya what, I'll meet you at the border with Barred eggs if you bring the White eggs. Deal? LOL
Fred, Yep. I'll do that.
lol.png

The white rock bantams in NB are something else. They do very well. The maritimes didn't show any standard plymouth rocks at our provincial show last fall, but NS has nice white rocks.

There is this guy in NS named Derek Fulton, who has this rock on the NS Purebred Poultry Association. I tried to contact him last year, but could not reach him. Worth a try again. Completely forgot about them until I just went to find a picture of some of the white rocks in NS.

Think this line is worth pursuing?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom