d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Here are two pic of that "chipmunk" chick

Sorry such bad pics, Mama hen was threatening to EAT me!
that's going to be the making of a buff columbian. Since milles and quail are both on a columbian base, when you cross them, you will often get an off colored, a little too dark, buff columbian. These are exactly what my original buff columbian chicks looked like after the first cross to make them. I did bb red to mille. But quail works too on it you just end up with a lot more back lacing to clean up is all

How early can you sex silver quail? I have some almost week old babies and 3 have mostly black wing feathers, and 3 have black/white feathers.
it takes a little longer than that, but in most cases, large areas of white are males other than on the breast.
if the wings head or back start getting solid white, you can about count on them being males. If you see heavily black laced patterns in these areas, they are almost always females. JJ has a pullet pictured under your original post that shows the pullet color to show what I mean. But laced back, girl, heavy white on body other than breast area male

Aubrey must be fishing.... again. I can answer this one.
The way to tell on any kind of quail is a laced back is a pullet.

Here are three silver quail the middle is a pullet the outside ones are cockerels.

haha, should of been JJ it's beautiful out there again today.... was just lazy and didnt get on though til now.... but yep you got it covered

Thank you Kathryn for posting my pics for me.
And thanks Aubrey for the info. I was surely stumped.
I have crossed these same chickens before and never got this. [not the mille]
The one with the Spangles is from dark quail to dark quail, and the "chipmunk is from Dark quail to Mille.
Soooooo should I now breed back to Mille???
I don't have a lot of choices...I just have the Mille roo and the dark quail roo.
Putting the "spangled' hens in with the mille will produce even more Spangles or will it produce mille or something way off of either???
If I wanted to clean up the buff columbian color what would I need to do.
Sorry for so many questions, I'm really curious now what to do.
Thanks again!!
Cheryl

no problem Cheryl.

na I knew the dark quails were the parents to these chicks, but what were their parents? I'm betting they had mille some where in the mix. well had to, that or mottled. it's the only way to of gotten it in them.

do you have any pics of the dark quail parents?

yes if you take them back to milles, you will be increasing the mottled chances and the depth of the amount of mottling in them for sure.

if you went back to quail, you'd be cleaning them up and going back to a more quail like color.

on the buff columbians. I just kept breeding mine back to each other. Every cross the color got cleaner and cleaner with less back markings on the hens and lighter over all tone to both sexes. Just keep back the lighter cleaner patterned chicks each year and use those for your next breeding. It took me about 4 years, but this years chicks are perfect clean patterned buff columbians. Only markings on the hens now are the tail and wing tips and the hackle tips, everything else is just buff... takes a little time to get all the influences from the other colors out of them, lacing and all, but it goes away with time.... will be happy to coach you threw it as you go along with them... be happy though, that's a very very rare color and is actually a recognized color in the d'anver for some reason, even though no one has them haha

Well, I'm going to try and post pic of the Quail parents....for some reason I only get lucky once in a blue moon, [could be
cause I'm on dial up...ya THINK?]

Here is the roo and the other pic is of him and the hens.
I'll try and get pic of the Millie and his mate.
This is third gen for me on the quail...didn't know anything was "hiding" in there.

well actually. I wouldnt call them dark quail, they look perfect to me color wise. Just look dark in comparison to others because most peoples are too light, not enough black.

When you said dark, I was wanting to see them to see if anything might be obviously up genetics wise. but they look 100% normal.

dont see any signs of hidden mottling on them at all?? It can be hard to see and being recessive cant be rare to pop back up. I'm on year 3 I think with a lavender mottled project. get back plenty of lavender from it, but very very few that are mottled.

looking at the chicks, they only seem to show a single copy of it to, so are technically just split for mottling, so only 1 of your birds most likely has it.

Then again, all this could be some odd genetic fluke. It happens, but is very rare. I'm still betting there a copy of mottling floating around some where. Will see if I can dig up a split mottle pic of some of my stuff to show for comparison. The tips are very faint and not white, kinda blue looking from the other color bleeding threw it still, very similar to the color on your chicks spots

Thank you Aubrey and JJ, for all your input and guidance! The big chick may be a Columbian, but I'm not sure-- he's white like a White Leghornm chick or Columbian Wyandotte chick, but his wing feathers are growing in really pale mille fleur with a lot of white. (Think he'll turn out like the European photos of Lemon milles?) He is HUGE, fearless, and friendly, friendly, friendly! We think he's a roo, because his feet are gargantuan, and he's so large and bold. (Watch him turn out to be a big, bossy hen!
lau.gif
) He demands to be the center of attention-- always. His name is Elmer!

At one week old, the chicks had a graduation party to celebrate wing and butt feathers coming in! So without further ado, here's our mille fleur d'Anvers babies jammin' at their first rockin' mealworm party!

Chopped apples and live mealworms-- oh my!

964812_534882799891606_931888893_o.jpg

"Diss mealwurm iz mine." "No, diss mealwurm iz mine!"

919507_534882476558305_869933912_o.jpg

"Ai iz praktisin' mai stink-eye!"

13278_534883919891494_541434698_n.jpg

Elmer is huuuuuge!

965100_534883716558181_519931674_o.jpg

"Nice hand Lady, but plz to bring us mealwurmz?"

976443_534883979891488_2099290351_o.jpg

Luscious, delectable mealworms...

976238_534882429891643_851175294_o.jpg

A better view of Elmer's wing feathers, hinting at him NOT being a Columbian Wyandotte, but rather a mille fleur jumbo d'Anvers!

977016_534882419891644_142105325_o.jpg

You would not believe how CALM these brown chicks are!

919687_534882883224931_1487212578_o.jpg

976285_534883866558166_1595651502_o.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Oh, yes, for treats, they're getting:

Organic home-grown green-leaf lettuce, half a boiled egg yolk, and there's probiotics in their water, mixed fresh daily. Sand is in the brooder, and we built a play-pen for them outside into which I can sit in with them, so they can have (very brief) supervised field trips with me on the lawn, warmth and weather permitting.

PS-- We just went on Ebay and ordered 2,000 live mealworms. Not that we're spoiling them, or anything........
whistling.gif

Last edited:
Thank you Aubrey and JJ, for all your input and guidance! The big chick may be a Columbian, but I'm not sure-- he's white like a White Leghornm chick or Columbian Wyandotte chick, but his wing feathers are growing in really pale mille fleur with a lot of white. (Think he'll turn out like the European photos of Lemon milles?) He is HUGE, fearless, and friendly, friendly, friendly! We think he's a roo, because his feet are gargantuan, and he's so large and bold. (Watch him turn out to be a big, bossy hen!
lau.gif
) He demands to be the center of attention-- always. His name is Elmer!

At one week old, the chicks had a graduation party to celebrate wing and butt feathers coming in! So without further ado, here's our mille fleur d'Anvers babies jammin' at their first rockin' mealworm party!

Chopped apples and live mealworms-- oh my!

964812_534882799891606_931888893_o.jpg

"Diss mealwurm iz mine." "No, diss mealwurm iz mine!"

919507_534882476558305_869933912_o.jpg

"Ai iz praktisin' mai stink-eye!"

13278_534883919891494_541434698_n.jpg

Elmer is huuuuuge!

965100_534883716558181_519931674_o.jpg

"Nice hand Lady, but plz to bring us mealwurmz?"

976443_534883979891488_2099290351_o.jpg

Luscious, delectable mealworms...

976238_534882429891643_851175294_o.jpg

A better view of Elmer's wing feathers, hinting at him NOT being a Columbian Wyandotte, but rather a mille fleur jumbo d'Anvers!

977016_534882419891644_142105325_o.jpg

You would not believe how CALM these brown chicks are!

919687_534882883224931_1487212578_o.jpg

976285_534883866558166_1595651502_o.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Oh, yes, for treats, they're getting:

Organic home-grown green-leaf lettuce, half a boiled egg yolk, and there's probiotics in their water, mixed fresh daily. Sand is in the brooder, and we built a play-pen for them outside into which I can sit in with them, so they can have (very brief) supervised field trips with me on the lawn, warmth and weather permitting.

PS-- We just went on Ebay and ordered 2,000 live mealworms. Not that we're spoiling them, or anything........
whistling.gif
Wow! What great pictures and when I read your description of Elmer and saw how big he is it made me laugh! What beautiful chicks you got!!! Don't you feel lucky? I sure do to have mine!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom