d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Sparrrow here is a bit aggressive. I understand establishing a pecking order. But it is attacking The other chick beak and claw. I hate to have to separate it from them and I certainly do not want a spoiled rotten pet chicken with aggressive behavior. Is it common for Danvers To be little bullies At a week and a half old?

Last edited:
eh some, most of it is they are pecking at stuff stuck to them. The tiniest little piece of fuzz will drive them crazy and make them want to peck it. Not sure if that's the case or not here. Never really had a bully chick but they will peck stuff stuck to others

warmheart
they are spoiled rotten already, so glad you got some, makes me feel good to see my babies babied haha.

yep that's just one of those paler milles. Elmer that is. He'll end up yes being some what colored like a cream, just not cream but a yellowish pale mille. I have 1 hen that color and I garantee that's his mama

eh some, most of it is they are pecking at stuff stuck to them. The tiniest little piece of fuzz will drive them crazy and make them want to peck it. Not sure if that's the case or not here. Never really had a bully chick but they will peck stuff stuck to others
Oh No this was like fighting rooster stuff grabbing with beak and kicking! I split the chicks into smaller groups instead of one large group and he has settled down. Apparently D'uccles irritate him. Since your here. I have a few Cuckoos that are all black while the others are showing the coloration. Is it likely they will remain black? And do you have blue splash?

I mean mottled.

Last edited:
Some new pictures and questions
smile.png

Aubrey, do you think this buff Columbian chick is going to feather in the proper color? Sure seems to have a lot of black mossiness in the feathers. It is so different looking than my bantam buff Columbian Brahma chicks coloring. The chest feathers are coming in solid buff though.

Look at the difference in coloring on these two Khaki Quail chicks. Do you think I have a pair? One is larger than the other. Tails are shaped differently too.

The d'Anvers look so cute cuddled in with my Ameraucanas!

Aubrey, that Silkie blood in my D'anvers is taking over again (J/K, Aubrey has no Silkie blood in his d'anvers, in case someone is taking me seriously, lol) Carly is broody again. Her "son" is just 10 weeks old, for crying out loud! Mina is on Day 13 tomorrow and I guess Carly was just too influenced by her. I have three other broodies already in the LF pens.

Aubrey, that Silkie blood in my D'anvers is taking over again (J/K, Aubrey has no Silkie blood in his d'anvers, in case someone is taking me seriously, lol) Carly is broody again. Her "son" is just 10 weeks old, for crying out loud! Mina is on Day 13 tomorrow and I guess Carly was just too influenced by her. I have three other broodies already in the LF pens.
gig.gif
That's funny comparing the D'anvers to silkies. Of course not all Silkies are like that. My Mysty Blue is the only one with fertile eggs (Leo Pierre LOVES her) and she has never gone broody. It works to everyone's advantage though....I tell her to keep on popping out eggs and everyone else will keep incubating them.

So you keep D'anvers with LF? I asked the other day about keeping extra D'anver roosters with my LF girls (for their protection and his enjoyment). Is this OK to do or will it endanger the little roosters?

gig.gif
That's funny comparing the D'anvers to silkies. Of course not all Silkies are like that. My Mysty Blue is the only one with fertile eggs (Leo Pierre LOVES her) and she has never gone broody. It works to everyone's advantage though....I tell her to keep on popping out eggs and everyone else will keep incubating them.

So you keep D'anvers with LF? I asked the other day about keeping extra D'anver roosters with my LF girls (for their protection and his enjoyment). Is this OK to do or will it endanger the little roosters?
I don't keep my d'Anvers with LF once they are adults. I have problems as it is with my bantam buff Brahma hens chasing my d'Anver hen away from the food
roll.png
In fact, I plan to sell my BBBs so I have a pen just for my d'Anvers.

Chickee, I love seeing how your babies are feathering out! You definitely are going to have some truly gorgeous birds! The khaki quail are a gorgeous color, I'm looking forward to seeing yours grow up.
pop.gif

SpeckledHen, thank you for popping in here! I love hearing about Carly and Mina, and Penny & company! Your photos and stories are what nudged me to make the jump into getting some d'Anvers for myself. Especially that your Penny and Carly (I think?) are so friendly, even when not raised in a brooder in the home. What phenomenal temperaments!
thumbup.gif
But, I also suspect you've done a wonderful job handling them as babies.
goodjob.gif
I'm gently handling my 6 little week-old chicks a few times a day, telling them how much I love them. I hope this helps!
fl.gif

Aubrey, thank you, thank you, thank you for these chicks! They all have obvious beards, and each chick has been vital and healthy, knock wood. Thanks also for filling me in on Elmer's Mama! I didn't know we had yellow milles (or pale creams) in this country. That's neat! Think he'll grow to be about colored like SpeckledHen's "Spike?" He isn't cream, but he's handsome and a lighter-colored breast.
love.gif
Anyway, I cannot believe how calm and friendly Elmer is! He lets me stroke his breast gently with my finger. What a doll!

I'm working a few times per day to softly hold and give sweet-talk & attention to each chick individually. Then at mid-day, I bring 3 chicks at a time into the kitchen to have a mealworm party on the kitchen floor. I want them to associate me handling them with GOOD things. For those who have accustomed chicks to handling to be tame, how am I doing? Anything I should do differently? I've never done this before.
hu.gif
So far, just one chick seems to be reaching out to connect with me (Elmer). I'm hoping the others will, eventually, with continued brief periods of individual handling & attention.

Back
Top Bottom