d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Tried to post this with my last post. I have removed the porcelain Roo and added this Millie roo. He is from this group. He is real young a Dec 2012 hatch. I think he will be really nice. The picture isnt too good. He was running around. But thought I would get an opinon. Keep in mind the picture was of him at about 4mo old. Thoughts? He has lost his beard, someone has plucked it out. need to figure out who is the beard pluker :( Maybe the goldneck roo. This weekend, I think we will be able to seperate all my boys and seperate so I can begin to hatch and know who is mom and dad. cant wait.

He stands nice and tall, for sure. You need to get some of my broodies. I've had 8 this year already. Carly and Mina are repeaters.

Here are the latest D'Anver babies, two of them, being raised by one of my EE hens. Thought they were both Aimee's but one does not have any Kentucky Leg Fungus so maybe it is Mina's. Never known Aimee's to be clean legged, but the egg sure appeared to be hers.

The black chick is 1/2 Delaware and 1/2 Barred Rock.

ACK, not yours, too, JJ! Mine are broody more than they lay, seems to me.

I'm very, very worried about Penny. She has not laid an egg since last fall. This can't be normal. She acts less perky than her usual sweet self, too. Nothing I can find on her. They were wormed within the last month. Lucy hasn't laid in awhile, either, but has laid much more recently than Penny.

Aubrey, Spike is on guard over Carly while she is on the nest. He did the same thing when she was incubating her now 10 week old DelaWyanCauna "son". He sits sideways on a nestbox divider near Carly (who, though tiny, is head hen), every night instead of on the roost as he normally would. And so far, not one flog toward me. He will usually fly to me if I hold out my arm and call him, too. How about that behavior for a D'Anver male, eh?

My little Aubrey hurt his leg and I had to give him a baby aspirin and separate him in a pet carrier for a couple of days to keep him off of it. He seems much better now, but he was in lots of pain, so much that I easily caught him to separate him.
haha that's awesome!

Thanks Aubrey! That is good to know about the laced back for a girl and solid for the boys on the khaki quail chicks. The BC chick is going to be so pretty. Hoping it is a girl so I can pair it with my porcelain rooster. My porcelain hen started laying a few months back, laid 2 eggs and has not laid another egg since
hmm.png
I love the Dun color on the Dun Cuckoos, so when you mentioned the Dun mottled I got real excited! Just might have to have some of those!! The lemon cream pyle Phoenix sound gorgeous!!
droolin.gif
Do you have pictures of both of those colors?
was going to try to take some this week end. Just now finishing up the dun mottled, so just have a pullets or two that is grown enough to show the color on them. Will try to get some of both and post them this weekend when I'm off.
the dun on the dun mottled is much darker too than the cuckoo. It's not that smudged look that the cuckoo pattern makes on it. Really nice I think, dark chocolate with mottling... yall all like these I think!!

Speckled hen you must have all the broody for my girls. As mine kinda hit a broodyness, for about a week and we kept taking the eggs away and now I am getting 11 eggs a day from them. I have 10 hens at laying age.

So I will go get a picture, but Aubrey, I have a goldneck roo and the porcelain roo and I hatched out a couple of chicks that are well very black feathered out.

its really odd. I am going to try and get a picture of her. This girl, I have one like it that is a roo to, I know they are millie, but they have a black breast they areApril 6 hatch date.

The other one I wonder about is almost white. Now this one I know the mother is one of the goldnecks, she has the leg fuzz and so does he. I have 2 just like it and they are both roos. I am fairly sure they must be out of the porcelain roo? So goldneck/ porcelain cross

thoughts? Most of my hatchs have light Millies very buff looking browns,

hard to see in the bottom pic. But I wonter is you have a dominate white porcelain in that last bird. Is the tail all white? Then you have beat me to a new mille based color if so...

on the black feathered chicks, with those 2 males that's 100% possible if you used a mille hen to it, or a porcelain hen to the goldneck.

porcelain to any mille based color that doesnt have lavender in it is going to make mille every time. On the goldnecks, if they only got 1 copy of the dominate white in them, they will hatch 50% mille and 50% goldneck when not bred to another goldneck.

so all depends on who mama was with those 2 roosters you mentioned, but it's very possible to get the black back in those 2 ways

ACK, not yours, too, JJ! Mine are broody more than they lay, seems to me.

I'm very, very worried about Penny. She has not laid an egg since last fall. This can't be normal. She acts less perky than her usual sweet self, too. Nothing I can find on her. They were wormed within the last month. Lucy hasn't laid in awhile, either, but has laid much more recently than Penny.
same here Cynthia and JJ,
This has been I'd say my worst production year ever. Nothing lays more than a week or two, and half seem to stay broody, and yall know me, mine virtually never go broody. I sent JJ some bb red x red pyle eggs last week. took me all year to this point to get him , what was it maybe 5 JJ?

aweful , not sure what their issues are, but been hearing several folks having the same deal with their various birds... not laying and or overly broody this year... killin me got people still waiting from Feb on some stuff... they gone think I dont care about them ???

We're having a fantastic time watching these babies feather out! One of the brown mille chicks has been growing in barred shoulder feathers, like a cuckoo!
lol.png
The other browns are growing in rich caramel-colored feathers like a mille. All of the babies legs and feet skin is changing very gradually from pale peach-y to a dusky color. It's amazing to watch! Their legs are gonna turn slate, this is so neat to watch!
pop.gif

One of the brown chicks, who we think is a pullet, has a super-calm Zen Master mien to her, and she snuggles down into my hand and falls asleep in my hand when I Reiki her. (Yes, I know I've just outed myself as THE woo-woo
peacesign.gif
on the d'Anvers thread
hide.gif
) She actually makes a nest out of my hand and sleeps through her treatment!
love.gif
Elmer is another who falls asleep during Reiki treatment, if it's in the evening.

Today, I found Elmer strolling about on the carpet, trying to find me, calling for me, looking for me!
ep.gif
I'm gonna hafta put a window screen atop the brooder for a roof. Elmer's figured out how to LOUDLY call for me from within the box, and then he flies to the rim to wait for me to pick him up! What a sweetheart he is! I'm in LOVE!
wub.gif

Back
Top Bottom