d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Cieraphoto, wow! Are those cuckoo? Crele? I love that pattern!
droolin.gif
They are cuckoo. Yours are pretty! Mille Fleur, right? I also have Mille Fleur, Mottled, White, black, lavender cuckoo and lavender. I don't think I've ever had chicks this sweet!

Yeah, this sweetness thaang-- what's up with that, Aubrey?
jumpy.gif

Cieraphoto, is the crele like in a Barred Rock, where the lighter ones are males, the darker ones pullets? Yes, mine are mille fleur. I love mottleds, creles, and cuckoos though-- patterns rock! Your cuckoo babies have the dearest, sweetest faces!
love.gif
Look how calmly they sit in your hand! Did you work with them, handling them lots? I've got a few flighty ones, and a few snuggly-clingy ones, Yours are gorgeous!

Yeah, this sweetness thaang-- what's up with that, Aubrey?
jumpy.gif
Cieraphoto, is the crele like in a Barred Rock, where the lighter ones are males, the darker ones pullets? Yes, mine are mille fleur. I love mottleds, creles, and cuckoos though-- patterns rock! Your cuckoo babies have the dearest, sweetest faces!
love.gif
Look how calmly they sit in your hand! Did you work with them, handling them lots? I've got a few flighty ones, and a few snuggly-clingy ones, Yours are gorgeous!
I have 2 light cockerels, 1 dark cockerel and 1 dark pullet. I'm not sure about the cuckoo. Is light or dark preferred for males? I did hold them quite a bit. Then when they could finally fly they would fly up to my hands then up on my shoulders. The mottleds are the most timid. Did you work with yours?

Quote: Thanks JJ, I guess I missed that post from Aubrey

Aubrey, ship them back to you. hmmmm will have to think about that one...... nope, not yet, maybe later :) Ok I am a little slow, but I think I am getting it. I know once I get these guys all split up and start to get them breeding and seeing results it will sink in better.

I would like to work with this pair some, but Aubrey, seriously if you really wanted to work with these dominate white guys, you know I would get them to you. You are the planning one in these colors, and I would work with you since you got me started. I am happy to see I have a pair, I have stopped hatching for now until I can split them up into breeding pens. We almost have the house ready for the splitting up, so then I can figure out who is what, and what I am getting. I love this breed and they are so sweet.

I haven't had the time to handle my 5 all that much, but when I pick them up they are so calm. I will pet them and they close their eyes like they are loving it
big_smile.png
What dawned on me the other day is how they look and feel in my hands . . not like chickens but like little sparrows! I am SO in love with this breed!!

I would like to share some of my photos of my d'anvers. I hatched these from eggs I bought from boggy bottom bantams. They are the sweetest little things!

Out of the two pictures below which one is better for its variety? The lighter one, which is the top pic. Or the darker one that is in the bottom picture. I will be showing them.

on the cuckoos you ended up with...actually you have a pair. That's why one is light ( the male) and 1 is dark ( the female)
on barred birds hens will only ever carry 1 copy of barring which leaves them dark. Males can be this dark too, but ONLY if they only have 1 coppy of barring, basically only 1 parent was a cuckoo in this case.
Males can and do get 2 copies of barring. Any time they do, and no matter what color it's on, the color will look washed out and paler. They also will not have any unbarred or solid feathers, where a single copied male will have 1 or 2 that are just black with no barring.

So long story short, color wise they are both perfect for the variety just depends on which sex you want to show.

Thanks JJ, I guess I missed that post from Aubrey

Aubrey, ship them back to you. hmmmm will have to think about that one...... nope, not yet, maybe later :) Ok I am a little slow, but I think I am getting it. I know once I get these guys all split up and start to get them breeding and seeing results it will sink in better.

I would like to work with this pair some, but Aubrey, seriously if you really wanted to work with these dominate white guys, you know I would get them to you. You are the planning one in these colors, and I would work with you since you got me started. I am happy to see I have a pair, I have stopped hatching for now until I can split them up into breeding pens. We almost have the house ready for the splitting up, so then I can figure out who is what, and what I am getting. I love this breed and they are so sweet.

you're right, once you start doing it all hand son, it's a lot easier to get a feel for... you'll be ...well darn that's what they ment, I see it now.

any time you come across something you're not sure about though, do feel free to ask, I'll be happy to point you the right way.
And Lord yes, dont ever get rid of those 2 unless you send them down to GA haha.... if you ever do decide you dont want to fool with that color, I'll certainly work with them. But you did all that so try to work with them a little if you want... you'll catch the bug before long! Just look at JJ...he's as bad as me now

on the cuckoos you ended up with...actually you have a pair. That's why one is light ( the male) and 1 is dark ( the female)
on barred birds  hens will only ever carry 1 copy of barring which leaves them dark. Males can be this dark too, but ONLY if they only have 1 coppy of barring, basically only 1 parent was a cuckoo in this case.
Males can and do get 2 copies of barring. Any time they do, and no matter what color it's on, the color will look washed out and paler. They also will not have any unbarred or solid feathers, where a single copied male will have 1 or 2 that are just black with no barring.

So long story short, color wise they are both perfect for the variety just depends on which sex you want to show.

Thank you! That is great info! I will show both sexes of the cuckoos.

I just wanted to say that these are the greatest little birds! I ended up with 2 pairs of cuckoos, a trio of black, a trio of lavender, a trio of lavender cuckoo, a pair of mottled and a white pullet. All from eggs I bought from you on eBay. I plan on keeping all of them and showing them. I will definitely purchase more varieties in the future :)

Back
Top Bottom