d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

very nice indeed. and it did turn out to be a pair on the khaki quail! the barred dun quail looks to be a pullet too so you can breed her with that group too if you wanted.

yall are spoiling all these d'anvers... they are supposed to be mean bad fighting machines towards people!!
lau.gif

Yall making lap chickens out of them haha

great to see and hear though, keep it up!!
Aubery, Isn't the khaki pair gorgeous! The pullet is as pretty as the rooster! I feel SO lucky to have gotten not only one, but two of them!!

I have a question for you . . why do you consider the Dun quail chick to be "barred" and not cuckoo? I love the look of that chick! I think the golden face really compliments the Dun color. Can I make more by breeding her to the khaki rooster?

Last edited:
Chickee you definitely have some beautiful babies there, as do all of you. mine are too, but it seems I have a beard and muff plucker
he.gif
now to figure out who is doing it. I go down and everyone is all nice and full and then its gone. not happy. Right now my rooster has lost his beard and some of his muff.

Must separate these guys and find out who it is, may have to sell that bird.

Oh I also say mine need warmheart to come spoil them. its seems time turns them all around. my crew who is standoffish, is now coming up to the doors and wanting attention. so Aubrey, its you who breeds this sweet breed.

Ok some of these boys are not so sweet. Have a Mille Roo who seems to need an attitude adjustment on a regular basis, but he is really good with his girls and he is with a couple of roosters and he is good with them, and when we add in a guinea or 2 he never bothers them. It seems we are always having to rehab a male guinea or 2.

So I must give these guys a fairly good rating at tolerating a lot of commotion. They just can be a little bit of a snot with humans.

Chickee you definitely have some beautiful babies there, as do all of you. mine are too, but it seems I have a beard and muff plucker
he.gif
now to figure out who is doing it. I go down and everyone is all nice and full and then its gone. not happy. Right now my rooster has lost his beard and some of his muff.

Must separate these guys and find out who it is, may have to sell that bird.

Oh I also say mine need warmheart to come spoil them. its seems time turns them all around. my crew who is standoffish, is now coming up to the doors and wanting attention. so Aubrey, its you who breeds this sweet breed.

Ok some of these boys are not so sweet. Have a Mille Roo who seems to need an attitude adjustment on a regular basis, but he is really good with his girls and he is with a couple of roosters and he is good with them, and when we add in a guinea or 2 he never bothers them. It seems we are always having to rehab a male guinea or 2.

So I must give these guys a fairly good rating at tolerating a lot of commotion. They just can be a little bit of a snot with humans.
Beard picking just comes with them. They like it, it seems. I have watched them hold their head up like they are getting a shave while another one or two just picks away. If none of them have beards they are probably all doing it, if it were just one it would still have one. I have seen that too only one bird in the pen have a beard.

Kris, I wish I could be there to spoil your babies, but it sounds like they have such sweet temperaments that are really starting to come out now. How great this breed is!

JJ, I Googled "white quail d'Anver" and didn't find anything but either quail or white. it sounds gorgeous, though.

A cockerel question: If a male chick is very, very mellow to the extreme, will he still eventually develop the usual rooster tendency to do sentry duty & alarm calls? We've got a pseudo-free-range situation (fully-fenced huge backyard, lots of trees and shrubs for cover). Our ancient bantam-mix roo stands watch as the hens forage, and calls out "Sky predator!" for every grackle, sea gull, etc, and "tut-tut-tut" when my dog chases his ball too close or our cat strolls by too close to his hens. I'd like our future rooster to also do sentry duty and some alarm calls. Will even this super-mellow chick do this one day? ( we've had zero predator issues during the daylight hours when our hens are out, but I think it's a good tendency in a roo in our situation anyway)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom