d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

What color are d'anver earlobes supposed to be? I have splash quail d'anvers. 3 girls and 3 boys. I notice that one of the girls has blue earlobes like my silkies, but all others seem to have pale red earlobes. Which is SOP or doesn't it matter?
Thanks in advance. ;)

What color are d'anver earlobes supposed to be? I have splash quail d'anvers. 3 girls and 3 boys. I notice that one of the girls has blue earlobes like my silkies, but all others seem to have pale red earlobes. Which is SOP or doesn't it matter?
Thanks in advance.
wink.png

They should be red,but I have seen some that have had a kind of iridescent blue tint to them. I used one as a breeder once and some of the chicks had it but very faint. The next year it was gone.

Backwoods Bantams, thank you. That's very interesting. Makes you wonder where it comes from genetically. Is it from breeding with silkies in the past? I'm not sure of any other chickens with blue earlobes.

I don't think it has anything to do with silkies, just because, by the time you got rid of the other stuff, Silkied feathers, black skin, extra toes, valted skulls and walnut combs, I think the blue ear lobes would be long gone. Not sure where it comes from but I have seen white earlobe breeds have a bluish tint to them.

Yep blue lobes generally co.e as a.normal white lobed bird that has fibro melanisim in it ( black skin) never seen a blue lobed bird without it. Honestly unless you are digging for it, you shouldn't see their lobes. But yep should be red.

hey, my Penny is still not laying. Its been almost a year. Can she really be okay after all that time, at only 2 1/2 years old? And she even took a break to raise one batch of babies. Here is Penny.

Aimee:

Some of the kids-the one in the back in the next pic is tiny Jenny and the one in front of her is her sister, same age. Neither are full size, but they are still kicking. I'm selling Jenny's sister, but we're going to just keep Jenny:

Two of the other clean legged pullets.

Last edited:
Beautiful birds speckledhen!

I would like an answer to the egg laying question too. My porcelain hen laid 2 eggs last year when she was 6 mos. old and has not laid an egg since
sad.png
I was really hoping she would start laying so I could use my buff Columbian rooster for her because Aubrey said I would get buff Columbian and porcelain chicks out of the cross.

The younger group range from 15-17 weeks, as of Monday. Ladyhawk is taking the three extra pullets and my bantam Cochin rooster because she lost her lavender Coch'Anver rooster yesterday for no apparent reason. I will have only two pair, both males with feathered legs, to rehome. In these pics, you also see some of my adults, including Spike.

Who could resist this face?? She has the Lucy head tilt going on.

Back
Top Bottom