d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

How many days is the incubation period for d'anvers? Same as silkies (21 days)?

I'm doing a test hatch with 9 d'anver eggs and about 40 silkie eggs. Most of the silkie eggs aren't fertile but I've been saving everything since the end of July! It should be interesting.

Hmmm, interesting. Wonder if it is because it is high in vitamin C ?  It's worth a try :)   

Nope because it has a natural estrogen type thing in it. Longtail folks use it too to keep males growing tails longer. It lowers testosterone in them. And in females does aid in production. Some just aren't great layers. And you get dud seasons too. I had one this year as have many breeders. I'm beginning to really wonder if feed companies are cutting cost by cutting supplements in their mixes?

Last edited:
Quote:
Depending on how many chickens are in the pen I will hang a whole head or for a few chickens I cut them in half. It will take them a day or two to get used to it being in there the first time. But after they figure out it is edible they won't last no time. They really like collard greens and broccoli especially if you let it go till the cabbage looper worms are good and thick on it. If you want to be entertained get a eyebolt and screw into the heart of the cabbage and hang it by a string,

Will have to try that, thanks!

Oh, Aubrey got a big spur trim tonight. I was afraid his little heart would beat out of his chest and he'd keel over dead in my lap, but he made it through. HAD to trim those humongous weapons of his-one well placed spur and it would be all over for my buddy, Spike.

Silver Millie chicks
wee.gif

JJ, now those are what LH's little oddity with the white face looks like to me. The wings are coming in now and that's pretty much what they look like. Wherever the silver came from, it wasn't here. Must be from her hen that looks birchen. The Coch'anver sire of the chicks was out of one of my own Mille or Porcelain males over my lavender Cochin hen, may she rest in peace (gosh, I miss Shadow).

And, JJ, thanks so much for stopping by our new site and signing the guestbook. Was pleasantly surprised to see your name there.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I think a good many lavenders have silver, so it could have came from Shadow originally. But any way if the chick is a pullet it came from the rooster for sure. If it is male and a good clean silver it came from both parents, if kind of yellow it came from the hen. I think.

Good Morning it was cold this morning YAY!

Cyn, Robin had nothing to do with the babies. They are from Beau's pen....Robin is from Rufus' pen. So your Shadow could be culprit.

Here is little one as of yesterday

This is the one suspected to be porcelain

And look at this fuzzy cute face. This model comes with KLF.

Thanks for stopping by our site JJ...you need to register as we are about to have a contest and the prize will interest you. *Hint Hint*

Good Morning it was cold this morning YAY!

Cyn, Robin had nothing to do with the babies. They are from Beau's pen....Robin is from Rufus' pen. So your Shadow could be culprit.

Here is little one as of yesterday

Thanks for stopping by our site JJ...you need to register as we are about to have a contest and the prize will interest you. *Hint Hint*
Ack, I'm so confused! I'm getting all your birds in the wrong pens, sorry! Shadow could have just about anything in her, being a hatchery bantam Cochin. Her progeny were so much larger than herself, we thought perhaps there were LF Cochins in her ancestry anyway. And any possible daddy came from BBB stock, so Aubrey would know what is possible there.

So, is this a Silver Mille, JJ and Aubrey? Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom