d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Aubrey, here is my d'Anver hatch out the birds I hatched from your eggs last year. I know the lavender with golden faces are khaki quail, but what do you think the 2 brown ones and 1 lavender one are? This is the combo of "khaki quail" x "khaki quail" and "khaki quail" x "dun cuckoo."

beautiful,
don't call them lavender, LOL whole nother gene

the gold face yes are khaki quail
the dark ones are dun quail, look for head dots ( little white patch) bet the will be barred dun quail. I see it on the one on the right already

the pale unmarked on is going to be a solid khaki, or a khaki barred hard to see a head dot on it due to the ground color of the fuzz.

Kinda jealous, aint got one of them yet lol

beautiful,
don't call them lavender, LOL whole nother gene

the gold face yes are khaki quail
the dark ones are dun quail, look for head dots ( little white patch) bet the will be barred dun quail. I see it on the one on the right already

the pale unmarked on is going to be a solid khaki, or a khaki barred hard to see a head dot on it due to the ground color of the fuzz.

Kinda jealous, aint got one of them yet lol
Thank you Aubrey
big_smile.png
I wondered if the "pale" one was going to be solid khaki or porcelain, but didn't see how it could be porcelain out of khaki quail x dun cuckoo. I don't see any head spots on the dun quail chicks. I can't wait for them to feather in! So much fun! And they are the sweetest babies! When they hear me coming, they all run looking for me!
love.gif
I LOVE this breed! I need to order more eggs from you!

I had problems with my hatch
sad.png
Have you had this problem before? The inner membrane was too tough and the chicks pipped the shell but not the membrane and one suffocated before I realized what was happening. I saved two others that did the same thing! In fact one was lifeless and not breathing, but I was able to blow some air into its mouth and massage its chest and getting it breathing. It had a slow start, but is doing great. Can't tell it from the other chicks now.
smile.png

Here are better pictures of the chick that you think will be solid khaki. She is my favorite! I took these pictures to show a friend how tiny she is.

Last edited:
J Chickee when you say the membrane was too tough, was it solid bright white and dry? Normally the tough membranes tend to break apart in a stringy way with tough strands that you may have to break. What you describe sounds like a humidity issue and the membrane drying aka shrink wrapping the chickster. What was your humidity during lockdown and did it elevatveslughrly when pipping began?

J Chickee when you say the membrane was too tough, was it solid bright white and dry? Normally the tough membranes tend to break apart in a stringy way with tough strands that you may have to break. What you describe sounds like a humidity issue and the membrane drying aka shrink wrapping the chickster. What was your humidity during lockdown and did it elevatveslughrly when pipping began?
I incubate the eggs at 45% humidity and up it to 65% for hatching. The chicks did not break through the membrane at all. Just broke the outer shell as they zipped. I was incubating LF Ameraucana and Golden Cuckoo Marans eggs along with the d'Anvers and those chicks hatched without a problem. I am wondering if it was because the d'Anvers eggs were pullet eggs?

Back
Top Bottom