d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

But, you don't want to see us? ((stalks off pouting))
hmm.png
Of course I do, come on up.

He does love us, LH! :p

Oh, you don't know what you just did. One day when I'm at her place up in KY, we may just have to take that road trip to VA and pop in to visit one of our bestest pals on BYC. :D

Oh yes I can spoil someone else's chickens other than yours Cyn....I can spread spores, blueberry pancakes and even teach JJ how to do the Zen massage....his girls probably need to fins their zen too.

Okay, not exactly a D'Anver subject unless you're speaking of Cuckoos, but I'm becoming confused here. I am used to Barred Rocks and I'm very good at sexing them, as long as they are the "normal" kind, but my current male is single factor barred (he is 1/2 Del and 1/2 BR) and he is over some very nice quality BR hens. One of these hens hatched out five chicks, two are hers and three belong to her sisters. Two are solid black and I was told those two had to be pullets. The other three all had what would normally be seen as pullet type head spots for a BR, however, these are not hatchery BR hens and sexing was never as cut and dried even when I had their own double factor barred male with them. So, tell me, generally, what I can expect from a single factor barred male over normal BR hens as far as chicks. Are those two solid blacks pullets? I was on another thread and was becoming a tad confused and since I really don't have the mindset of a breeder and this was a breeder's thread, I think I'll stay off that thread and just dare ask you here. I'm trying to breed back up to a properly barred male without having one. The male I'm using is 1/2 Stukel BR and the hens are full Marvin Stukel line BR hens. Some days I feel like I ought to just quit trying and relax and have the usual fun barnyard birds. It's more fun that way, I think, but I still like a top notch Barred Rock rooster.

This chick is the one with the super good barring. At first, it seemed to be a tiny head spot, but I see "frosting" that was almost imperceptible at each side of the back of the head, which may mean it's a cockerel after all. Also has a slightly arched comb and walks like a cockerel. I think this is male. The other two have larger head spots and less distinct barring so they could either be single factor barred cockerels or pullets, right?

The little one is on the right-see that stance?

Last edited:
If they are the same age, I am thinking 1 cockerel, 2 pullets. The one on the left just looks like a pullet. The center one doesn't look like it has near the leg thickness of the cockerel on the right. Pure speculation on my part.
hu.gif

I hope you're right, JJ. They were hatched together so yes, same age. I'm fine with one male, even pleased with it since my old Delaware rooster killed my chosen new breeder and left me Rex, the single barred rooster, but I was really becoming confused when someone said the chicks are sex linked. I couldn't think how that was even possible with two parents barred like that. That would mean every chick with a head spot was male, but a head spot only means in this case that the chick has barring as opposed to being solid black. If every chick with a head spot was male and every solid black, no-head-spot chick was a pullet, then that would mean there couldn't ever be any barred pullets and that didn't make any sense.

And now that it's clear as mud, we can get back to D'Anvers.... Sissy is broody AGAIN! Her chicks are 9 weeks old. Just because they are twice as big as she is, I guess she's decided it's been longer than 9 weeks.

Last edited:
Oh I have his address, I already dosed a package with spores when I sent his wife soaps he ordered. Muahahaha

But I do believe GA needs some fungus....heck I could bring the spores next week and release them down near you. Cyn would ride with me down that way to help I bet.
I have an antifungal spray I use down here

Back
Top Bottom