d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

thos polish hens are beautiful, do you sell eggs

those hens are beautiful do you sell eggs from them

Thank-you, but no I don't hatch eggs from them anymore. I don't have enough pens to separate my Polish. My two roosters are in with the LF. They are just pets.
smile.png

I did buy the buff laced Polish as hatching eggs on Ebay. They came from Oregon. I think he has an auction going for them right now.
wink.png

My Queen Mum (a not really white one) is always ready to adopt egg, Even when she "sits" for only one week, she will talk to peeping eggs I lay in her nest and raise the chicks like her own.

So cute! Right now my girl is just sitting on plastic eggs, but I caught her tut-tutting to them the other day.

I found the cause of Maura's malaise and her holding her tail down for the last three weeks or so. She has what appears to be an infected oil gland and her entire back all around the gland is very swollen and sore. I hope I caught it in time. She's now on penicillin with topical antibiotic applied to the area, too. May have to see if it's impacted and do warm compresses as well, but here is a pic I took of my beauty when she was in the house for her shot.

Aimee and her chicks, two D'Anvers (one with feathers on the legs you could probably braid
hmm.png
), one BR and one mixed DelaRockauCana, LOL. I did a video of her foraging with them and will post that when it's uploaded.
BUTT CAM ALERT!

Adding video link.

0.jpg

Last edited:
Cyn Dr Mitchell in McCaysville has always been wonderful when I've had to take a chicken or duck to him. His office visit was $25 last time I was there. He works by walk ins not appointment.

Cyn Dr Mitchell in McCaysville has always been wonderful when I've had to take a chicken or duck to him. His office visit was $25 last time I was there. He works by walk ins not appointment.

I used to take my dogs to him. I started Maura on penicillin and used warm compresses on her backside tonight then slathered it in silver sulfadiazene cream. I heard he knew a little something about chickens, will tell Tom. Thanks, Karen.

With newly hatched or hatching eggs I never had a problem. With older babies it is sometimes not the hen, it's the chick that is already conditioned. That was and is my problem with my little black lady. She had problems hatching and was very weak... I helped and now she thinks I am her mother and she ... well... wants to sleep where I sleep, wants to eat what I eat and refuses to stay in the coop with the other hens over night. For three month I had to carry her around everywhere, b/c she would become very stressed when I was out of sight. As far as I know the conditioning happens in the first 16 hours after the hatching. I looked up on "Lorenz" later and discovered that maybe talking to her was the biggest mistake I made as "midwife".

Chickens don't really imprint like ducks do, but they do become attached to the folks who help them out.

Took pics of Aimee foraging in the spring air with her babies today. I'm beginning to think both D'Anvers are cockerels, one clean legged and one feather legged, but of course, at a week and a half old, it's a bit early to tell for certain. There were two hawks circling overhead and Aimee stopped to assess the situation, as you can tell in one of the photos. They had to go back inside just after that.

@lisa67steve99 !!!

Last edited:
Yeah, I thougth this, too, till my Black Lady hatched. She still comes home to roost on the couch and sometimes brings friends. Tonight her new love and the cat occupied my couch.

And I am not the only one with his roost-problem:

Back
Top Bottom