d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Quote: That's the impression I get, too, sometimes. And they need not come back to me and say, "the birds you gave/sold me were killed by raccoons. I need a few more" without telling me the steps they've taken to prevent that in the future. That tells me that their coop is absolutely NOT secure at night.

Here I don't have the problem that people just buy chickens without thinking about the responsibility that come with a flock. I have problems to finde someone. If you have chickens here, you are by law a chicken farmer and have to register with a club or do all the paperwork on your own. So, someone who does that normally is good informed and b/c of the law regulations, you will not find someone how thinks he can leave the chickens just outside with know coop or pen. Aufstallpflicht! is the horror for every free range chicken owner. I don't find a english word for the law that can force you to bring your chickens inside a "bird proofed pen"for the bird migration season. So most of the pet chickens are well cared for, but b/c almost everyone who has chickens is in a breeders club and is surrounded by people who breed for shows and have lots of redundant roosters every year. I have a hard time finding someone who wants a little d'anvers rooster. I is so sad, but often the only option I have is to eat them.

Quote: And the question is: how many D'anver roosters does it take to make a pot of stew? I can't imagine, LOL. They're hardly a chicken nugget.
'

Here's a bad D'Anver rooster. He thinks he is, anyway. And now, he has sweet Spike doing it, too. I was making fun of him a little, LOL.

0.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again, speckledhen, for offering more information on the dosage/usage of the Corid.

Good video shot of the cool little d'Anver Dude being "Cocky" (indeed). I never worried about this much in tiny roosters. This kind of behavior is not acceptable in horned sheep (once upon a time had Scottish Blackface) that can literally "Ram" you (I carried a big HotShot for those nasty boys). As a teen, my family had some mighty mean Jersey Giant roosters too. You LISTEN..to those big Hulks! They eventually made great Chicken & Noodles.

I will have to mail order the Amprolium, unless the last feed store in the area happens to stock the product (still searching, as I have some time before chicks arrive).

Thanks, K epp for the pic of the feed label. But...so far,...I can not find a single seller of the Bartlett Game Bird Starter in our area. Have even gone to one local "upscale" independent pet store with good bird/reptile/dog & cat supplies. Unfortunately, a LOT of "pet food" boils down to only big ultra-commercial products that we are often forced to choose from within our local areas. We have a population of 200,000 within city and county, but that don't mean you can find anything for critters.... Moan.

It is very sad, to have to nix all those great little roosters. But, with ALL genera/species, the future outcome for all animals, should be dependent on the breeder who should not give away small creatures to the Dumb And Dumber. Raising animals can be harsh. Letting them go to a bad future, is like getting Off the Hook? I grew up on a horse & cow/calf ranch. Dealing with 50 head of horses at any time, and trying to place your "losers" is not without stress (...easy with cattle: Just send them to slaughter?). Also raised nice Rex rabbits in the past, and there were oodles of people who wanted a "cute little Easter Bunny". Never sold, or gave, any cute baby rabbits to these types of "pet lovers". It is very easy, for people to discard or mistreat any small animal.

Not at all fair, to the small animal? Or any animal? "Rehoming" any critter, should be taken very seriously?

Oh, Aubrey has mellowed a lot in his old age (he's 4 now). He rarely ever flogs me, only threatens most of the time. He ALWAYS starts that little head bob thing when I bring a camera or a phone into his area. Silly thing. Spike has been very calm for a D'Anver rooster, but he has that spur-less gene and maybe it goes with that. He has developed his dad's intolerance for the paparazzi, though, which is mildly irritating.

I agree with you on rehoming to responsible homes. That's why I rarely hatch anymore, not unless I am up for the challenge. Even broodies are discouraged most of the time if I can do that.

Last edited:
As much as I'd love to contribute to the betterment of breeds I care about I don't think I'm cut out to be a breeder, chickens or any other animal. I know my dog's breeder is getting burnt out and it just seems so emotionally taxing, I applaud people who are able to do it. If my three do turn out to be roosters I'll probably just breed one clutch to build my own personal flock, then that's it (famous last words?). Up here in Canada I can only find one way to get d'Anvers, and with travel expenses factored in my three blacks were over a hundred dollars so it's a bit disheartening to get all males, although I know it's just the risk one takes. The drive through the city is quite exhausting too, and I'm not overly eager to make the all-day trek out twice in one year (and I'm not sure my SO would agree to buying more anyway lol). Plus if I breed a home clutch I have a chance of getting some self blues too, which is nice.

I took a video of my rooster coming after me when I let them out this morning, but Youtube is having a hard time processing anything so I'll have to post that later.

Edit: Got it.

Last edited:
The big question is: How to get a calmer d'anvers rooster? I always try to select the calmest rooster but the moment a hen is broody even the sweetest boy becomes the incredible hulk without turning green. Crossbreeding with a calmer breed? But what breed could that be? Most bantams are much bigger, have a different body and posture.

The big question is: How to get a calmer d'anvers rooster? I always try to select the calmest rooster but the moment a hen is broody even the sweetest boy becomes the incredible hulk without turning green. Crossbreeding with a calmer breed? But what breed could that be? Most bantams are much bigger, have a different body and posture.

I guess you'd select for temperament like you'd do it with any large fowl rooster. I do with my other breeds; in fact, my roosters are most definitely bred for temperament. People have purchased them from me specifically because of it. However, you'd have to have a D'anver sweetheart to breed from first. My Spike does do most of the breeding, over his sire, and he is much less aggressive than Aubrey, for sure, but no guarantees which is the father of chicks and I am not wanting to separate them out now to try and prove it.

I have never heard of anyone doing this with this breed. They tend to accept them for what they are. And since they are not usually dangerous even if they fancy themselves feathered pitbulls, then it doesn't seem as imperative to breed for a calm D'Anver over and above the other traits you'd want in a proper one.

Look, he is such a good looking boy and I only have to make chicken soup out of him, b/c I can't find someone who want's a tiny rooster that turns into a hulk every time a hen sits or the cat next door wanders into his yard. So, just a little calmer and he maybe would have the chance of a long life as someones pet.

Look, he is such a good looking boy and I only have to make chicken soup out of him, b/c I can't find someone who want's a tiny rooster that turns into a hulk every time a hen sits or the cat next door wanders into his yard. So, just a little calmer and he maybe would have the chance of a long life as someones pet.

I rehomed a particularly nasty D'Anver rooster to someone who wanted a free ranging flock guardian. He can alarm as well as any big rooster and she didn't care that he was as mean as a rabid dog. That was the original Rusty. He was stunningly gorgeous, very deep mahogany colored mille fleur.

Back
Top Bottom