d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Pics
Quote:
yep pretty much.
Most of those were my base for all these colors I have now and am currently working on, though even some of those dont really exist here in the states any more so I had to make them too, like the 2 columbians, no one has them, so I had to make them.
The addition of the bb reds was a big help, you can make all kinds of stuff out of them....still playing!

Last edited:
Quote:
yep pretty much.
Most of those were my base for all these colors I have now and am currently working on, though even some of those dont really exist here in the states any more so I had to make them too, like the 2 columbians, no one has them, so I had to make them.
The addition of the bb reds was a big help, you can make all kinds of stuff out of them....still playing!

Seems the Columbian color pattern is so hard to predict. I see so many with color in the body rather than JUST the tail and neck. So apparently it's not a single on off gene, but rather a set of genes in combination as you try to keep selecting for the best pattern. But that it's also so easy for it to fall apart. I see this in my snake breeding program too. I can breed a pair that look perfect, but I don't get all perfect babies! But rather a small percentage are perfect like mom and dad if your lucky. And some years none of the babies are any good so you have to sell every single one of them. And try again or do a different cross. So I know all too well the difficulties in trying to achieve the perfect patterm matched with the right color!

Any update pictures of the Buff Columbian project? I like the look of these birds too.

Quote:
Yours is fine unless you wanted to make them darker, the only difference is that yours is Homozygous barred ( has two Copies) and the one in the picture you found is Heterozygous ( only one copy of barring) So the color isnt as diluted as yours who has two copies And the Crele color is based on the BBRed color pattern so it wouldnt be difficult at all, just breed your roo with some pure BBRed hens and you will get Creles with the darker roos like the one in the pic you found, thought it wound breed entirely true, if you breed those darker het barred roos to crele thens, you would get half het. ( dark) and half homo. ( lighter) roos and the hens would be half crele and half BBRed.

Breeding the darker het roos to BBRed hens will give Half BBReds and Half Creles and the roos of the Creles will be the darker het. barred ones.

Quote:
yep pretty much.

Seems the Columbian color pattern is so hard to predict. I see so many with color in the body rather than JUST the tail and neck. So apparently it's not a single on off gene, but rather a set of genes in combination as you try to keep selecting for the best pattern. But that it's also so easy for it to fall apart. I see this in my snake breeding program too. I can breed a pair that look perfect, but I don't get all perfect babies! But rather a small percentage are perfect like mom and dad if your lucky. And some years none of the babies are any good so you have to sell every single one of them. And try again or do a different cross. So I know all too well the difficulties in trying to achieve the perfect patterm matched with the right color!

Any update pictures of the Buff Columbian project? I like the look of these birds too.

YEP, THE BUFFS TURNED OUT PRETTY GOOD RIGHT OFF THE BAT, BB RED TO MILLIE FLUER, BOOM BUFF COLUMBIAN, YOU JUATS HAVE TO BREED THEM BACK ONE MORE TIME AFTER THAT, F1'S OFFSPRING WILL BE 50% EACH BUFF AND MILLIE, THEN THEY WILL BREED TRUE FROM THEN ON

Woop, CAP lock on again, too lazy to retype it all.

I also got a couple of the blue buff columbians as a side effect from blue millie fluers, so will be working with both those this year.

Yep, as for the columbains though, man they are a pain. I just cant get them cleaned up good. Always getting a touch of body color to them, got some off a silver millie fluer project that are looking promising though, still very young though, time will tell.

Plan to get new pics up of all of them soon, just waiting on a few tails to finish up, and the weather to dry up and warm a little, takes a while to take pics of that many birds, but they are coming

Back
Top Bottom