d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Mine will be a year old April 6! Aimee is still working on it. At first, I couldn't find her. Then, heard her voice, found her behind a big green collapsible crate I had in there for nests for LF hens who are no longer in that coop. She sat there for ages, then left without laying. Thinking that would be a problem, eggs piling where I couldn't find them, I removed it and replaced with trashcan on its side since she obviously wanted more privacy than the nests were affording her. She's been a crazy woman, going frantically from nest to nest. Finally, I plopped her behind in the last one, then pulled hay from the next nest over her in a sort of grass hut fashion and she settled down. She is still there.

Pics of Aimee in her first hidden spot, then others from today. First, see the green crate? Then, Aimee hidden behind it-I had to hold the camera over her head because I couldn't see her back there from the front. Imagine eggs stockpiling back there!

This is Angus. Next pic is Penny.

Last edited:
fl.gif
yu get eggs cynthia.that's what my first timer did.went in every box,found a secluded place,and a few hour's i got an egg.she hasn't laid since then tho.
he.gif

goodluck

Aimee's first egg at 40 wks old! Good size, too, for a first one, as large as the ones Aubrey sent me that she and the others hatched from. I'm going to save it since I have a BR threatening to go broody any day now. Now, to get Penny and Carly in gear so there will be more than one pullet's eggs in the collection...

Last edited:
Congrats! I hope she keeps up the good work!

Went to the congress today, didn't get any d'anvers, but I did get a red pyle plymouth rock from Bob Murphy who is VICIOUS!!!! And I also won a pair of standard white cohins in the raffle that a friend entered. I sold the rooster, and kept the hen. Her name is Big Bertha :p

Aubrey,
Could you PM me the phone # for Tom Shepard too?

I really don't plan to go for show quality right now. I realize they would be a little more than i want to spend right now. I'm just looking for some decent breeding stock to work with. That is the way I went with the rabbits for my kids and that has worked very well for us.

Thanks,
Roger

hey sam did you ever find your new d'anvers? i got a totally last minute, spur of the moment quail pair at the northeastern poultry congress today and i have to say i'm not too familiar with thier standard. i took some photos but the aren't posed. the pullet vehemently refused to move from her comfortable "roost", and the cockerels was strutting his stuff until i got out the camera lol
lol.png
if i need to, i'll try taking pictures again another day. could you d'anvers experts give me some feedback on these guys?

Going to the Northeastern poultry congress next weekend... I'm gonna be looking at the sales for d'anvers and if not then I'm gonna hunt down the exhibitors and find me a new little d'anver
smile.png
And if none of them are available (Which would be crazy, there's always like 50, and last time there were some mottled
big_smile.png
) then I can contact the breeder I got my other little girl from and find me a new little pullet! I'M SO EXCITED!!!!

Back
Top Bottom