d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

hey sam did you ever find your new d'anvers? i got a totally last minute, spur of the moment quail pair at the northeastern poultry congress today and i have to say i'm not too familiar with thier standard. i took some photos but the aren't posed. the pullet vehemently refused to move from her comfortable "roost", and the cockerels was strutting his stuff until i got out the camera lol
lol.png
if i need to, i'll try taking pictures again another day. could you d'anvers experts give me some feedback on these guys?

No, I did not get any more d'anvers because all they had were quail at the sale and I wanted one that was a bit.. different. I got two spur of the moments... a red pyle plymouth rock (Who is gorgeous but will semi-attack you) and I won a pair of standard white cochins from the raffle, however I can't have roosters, so I sold the rooster.

I didn't think that red pyle was in the Plymouth Rock standard, Sam. At least, I've never even heard of that color in Rocks and I've had them for a long time. (ETA: I checked, nope, it isn't in the standard, must be a color he's working on?) Bantam Rock, I take it? Is this a hen who will attack you? You said you couldn't have roosters.

Last edited:
I didn't think that red pyle was in the Plymouth Rock standard, Sam. At least, I've never even heard of that color in Rocks and I've had them for a long time. (ETA: I checked, nope, it isn't in the standard, must be a color he's working on?) Bantam Rock, I take it? Is this a hen who will attack you? You said you couldn't have roosters.
Yep, I talked to him and he said it was a color he was working on, and no, they are not in the APA. They are gorgeous though, and he entered some in the Northeastern Poultry congress. She is also a bantam. She was very scared yesterday because she was in a carrier for most of the day, but now she has calmed down and will only peck at you a little. Boy, can she be loud!!! I'll have to get some pictures today, if only she could hold still!

Yep, I talked to him and he said it was a color he was working on, and no, they are not in the APA. They are gorgeous though, and he entered some in the Northeastern Poultry congress. She is also a bantam. She was very scared yesterday because she was in a carrier for most of the day, but now she has calmed down and will only peck at you a little. Boy, can she be loud!!! I'll have to get some pictures today, if only she could hold still!

yea would love some pictures. cant say ive ever seen one,.

Sorry that I'm cluttering up the d'anver thread with plymouth rocks
hide.gif
however no one has replied to the rock thread on here... Oh and those were cell-phone pics, so not the best.

Tinychicky

That's a good looking pair of quail. Color wise especially. Body looks good too. Only thing I see that would hurt you in shows in the combs.
The rooster has a perfect shape and all, good wedge, tapering to a point in the back, nice and even all the way, but, the major flaw they'd get you on is it's smooth, doesnt have the raised spikes, and it looks to have a dip in the middle of it. Those are two things in comb they frown on. Doesnt mean he's a bad breeder by no means, just he wouldnt place at a major show. The only other thing I see, and he may just be coming out of molt, but his tail is very thin, needs more primary tail feathers, should be a fat full fan from the 2 primary sickles all the way down.
Color wise, he looks real good though. Pretty much the same thing on the hen too, perfect color, and type, weak comb for show.
Breederwise, they should be great for you though

Last edited:
Sorry that I'm cluttering up the d'anver thread with plymouth rocks
hide.gif
however no one has replied to the rock thread on here... Oh and those were cell-phone pics, so not the best.

Aw, she's a cute little thing, Sam. I'm sure she'll calm down with some TLC. She's just probably very scared and unsettled.

Aw, she's a cute little thing, Sam. I'm sure she'll calm down with some TLC. She's just probably very scared and unsettled.

Yep, I've been working with her and been feeding her some popcorn and she's coming around. I don't think she's ever been outdoors; I let her out into the run and she seems to be very interested in her surroundings.

On the other hand, Big Bertha (My new cochin) has settled in just fine and has already laid an egg...

This has been a good weekend. First the results from my visit to Art Cosner. Do you know how hard it is to pick 4 birds out of a hundred?

Last night I caught this out side my chicken coop.

This morning this was in the hatcher. BBred x quail. Not a very good picture, haven't figured out the macro setting on my new camera yet.

My self blue pullet that had that big egg she couldn't lay, laid a normal one.

Speckledhen--congradulations on the egg.
chicken boy sam-- nice looking hen

jj

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom