d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Olive is beginning to lay again! I found an egg in her section, so I put out a bowl with some hay in it so she doesn't get pushed out of the "big girl" nest boxes!!!

yep, welcome Kris, glad you finally joined in, good to have you.

Cynthia, good Lord that's a huge d'anver egg.....I see why it was a bit bloody.. congrats though..

and well JJ you had me going..wasnt sure haha

Penny, Momma!
ep.gif
That's a BIG egg!

She did it! Penny laid her first egg at 43 weeks old!

It was so covered in blood that I checked to be sure she hadn't prolapsed (she was fine), but dang, it's pretty large for a teensy little girl like these are! Now, I'm a tad scared for itty bitty Carly, who is nowhere near the size of Penny the butterball.
*sorry about the dry hands--been doing one quilt project after another and can't use lotion when handling fabric all the time*

It sure was huge for a young lady of her size. That's why I'm really nervous about Carly's first one. She is so tiny, a friend said she didn't even look like a chicken.

I'll have no problem hatching these pullet eggs. They're as large or larger than the ones they came from! I'm amazed, really, but seems to me the longer a pullet waits to lay, the more normal sized her first egg is. This one, however, was larger than expected. Hope they don't get any larger or these little ones might have issues.

It sure was huge for a young lady of her size. That's why I'm really nervous about Carly's first one. She is so tiny, a friend said she didn't even look like a chicken.

I'll have no problem hatching these pullet eggs. They're as large or larger than the ones they came from! I'm amazed, really, but seems to me the longer a pullet waits to lay, the more normal sized her first egg is. This one, however, was larger than expected. Hope they don't get any larger or these little ones might have issues.

So when will you set these eggs, and how many will you set? I bet you are excited to hatch from your girls, the circle comes around, and it would be cool to see what mine produce. No doubt they will be beautiful, and cute.

I love the term pocket pets.

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm going to set them on or about Feb 12--the reason being that I have to collect a few from my Barred Rocks as well and I have a situation where I cannot start collecting from them until Feb. 6. I guess I'll set as many D'Anvers as I get between now and then.

I'm expecting them to all appear to be Mille Fleur, though some may be split to porcelain (or, is the term split to lav in this case?). If I get a surprise porcelain out of the first hatch, that would be so cool, but I'm not counting on it. That would mean one of the pullets was already a split. Or, I guess, one of the Mille males could be a split as well. I don't want to keep any males at all and may not keep all the females, either, so I may have some pairs to sell when they grow out enough to tell who is who.

I'm also going to set some of my lavender Cochin's eggs. She's almost 4 years old and I never thought I'd have one of her chicks since, until Aubrey sent me the d'Anver eggs, she was the only bantam in my standard flock.

Back
Top Bottom