d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

I have now shown my birds, it was at the County fair. There were 450 birds (300 Bantamns). . My black cockerel got Reserve RCCL. I was between him and a Partridge Wyandotte The judge couldn't choose so he gave it to the multi-colored bird. The Wyandotte went on to be Reserve Grand Champion.

Both of her parents came from my birds split for white - one half of the line is from the white male on solid females and the other from a solid male on a couple of white females. But that was a couple of generations ago - now I just keep all the birds together that I think carry the white gene (not all of them have been progeny tested) that come from this family. They are kept separate from my actual whites. So who knows what surprises they have for me. I'm just surprised I didn't get some like this sooner, such as in my F2s. Now I'm on F3s. I will definitely try to keep pictures posted when I get the time.

Perhaps it is just something in the baby plumage, like your pied colored Silver Duckwing bantam phoenix chicks. Did they mature out normally? Baby feathers can change so much. Even adult feathers can, as you pointed out.

The Lavender Buff Columbians almost need an entirely new name, you know? It's such a mouthful. I think that is how Crele was invented. Somebody got tired of saying "Cuckoo Black Breasted Red" or "Barred Black Breasted Red" all the time, lol. Same thing with Coronation...maybe Buff Coronation, eh?

Cheers!
Kristen

Bad thing is, now with two different varities of d'Anver, I was looking at the Chicken Calculator to see what would happen if we crossed the Lavenders and the Quail. Cool we get Blacks. What if we then breed the Blacks together? Wow!!! A lot of different varieties could pop out. Hhhmmmm?

Y'all are a bad influence!
smile.png

Maybe they will have big white amorphous blobs of white on their juvenile feathers in odd spots not found on normal solids like some of mine do from the whites!

Bad thing is, now with two different varities of d'Anver, I was looking at the Chicken Calculator to see what would happen if we crossed the Lavenders and the Quail. Cool we get Blacks. What if we then breed the Blacks together? Wow!!! A lot of different varieties could pop out. Hhhmmmm?

smile.png

Bad is a matter of perspective. We are simply teaching you to explore genetics and have fun with your birds. It makes hatching super exciting! I would say that is a good influence.

Bad is a matter of perspective. We are simply teaching you to explore genetics and have fun with your birds. It makes hatching super exciting! I would say that is a good influence.
haha ditto!!!

And yes buff coronation does sound a lot better to me too.

on the duckwings phoenix chciks, they were another ladys, she just sent me pics wondering what the heck they were, but yes I do have an adult hen with the "pied" look on a silver. Looks pretty cool, will have to try to get a pic of her to show what it looks like.

and yep, you would though an earlier generation would have shown all that for you, but you never know, it takes that right combo to just hit for you sometimes. and Now I see what you meant about it possibly being from the whites seeing how they all are traced back to them. Could be mottle based then if they maybe had it. They do change a lot from chicks to adults, especially mottled ones.

On the earler question, no in d'anver I have never had a spotted chick grow up solid. Now in other breeds like my bantam sumatras, they start out that way and loose the white as they mature.

Actually JJ, they start out looking just like the new chicks you posted pics of. If I had to guess off hand though, they do look similar to mottled chicks. The white is usually cleaner and more sharp edged to the black. But if you just laid a d'anver chick pic of those up and said what color is this, I'd tell you they were mottled....

smile.png
yep pretty much any time you cross a solid lavender based over black to just about any other color, your chicks will be black, split to lavender and whatever pattern the other birds may have been. From there you can get all sorts of stuff depending on what the other variety was. Can get very addictive

Back
Top Bottom