d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Cynthia- Been wondering where you've been. Kinda lonely here lately.

Been on vacation this week, so I could take care of 450 chickens at the fair. Had to go into work three days (stuff broke and I am the guy) so now I am three days behind on what I wanted to get done at home.

Finished up two growing pens today. Moved about 60 chicks on to the ground. Started corrid three days ago. Now just waiting for the Cocci to kick in.

Coccidia - you all mean coccidia, right? Not cocci bacteria? Sorry about the technicalities, I work in a micro lab....
roll.png

Coccidia is kind of inevitable with most established flocks that are in a litter or floor based environment. It is everywhere. Really management of coccidiosis is more of a how you let the chicks build immunity before ground contact than prevention of exposure. Corrid is a coccidiostat, so it is a preventative measure for the infection that is bound to come since these chicks have presumably not been on the ground before and probably not exposed to coccidia. Coccidia immunity is usually built up gradually and when it hasn't been, the onslaught can come rapidly (within a week after exposure) and can be deadly for strains with no genetic immunity.

I would say JJ isn't exactly looking for trouble - he just knows whats around the corner and wants to make sure his babes are protected and ready to deal with it.

NanaKat...cocci lives in the soil literally so it is best to go ahead and start the Corid and get them on the ground as soon as possible to begin the immunity building process. Weather permitting, my babies hit the ground between 24 - 36 hours old for about 30 mins a day at a week old they get a full preventative dose of Corid for 5 days. In the winter and cooler months should I have young ones, they do not get Corid unless there are signs of Cocci.

An update on the oddity. He has a name now...he is now known as "Mongo" hahahahahaha I think you will be shocked at the changes. He is now 4.5 weeks old and a real character....

At last update, about a week and half ago, he looked like this:

Yesterday afternoon at 4.5 weeks old...he looks like this:

JJ...congrats on your roo! Those babies look exactly like my Black and white mottled Serama babies at hatch. Bet they end up mottled. Cute buggers. So what do you think about Mongo? hehehehehe

Kristen- coccidia. It must be really bad here and it gets worse as the weather gets hotter. Must have several strains because they usually get it twice. I try all the stuff I hear about, medicated feed, putting dirt in the brooder,ect. My pyncheons are going through their second round of it now.

LH- Mongo is really something, don't know what, but I like him.

jj

I've read that some breeds are actually more prone and some less prone to coccidiosis. I wonder which category the D'Anvers fall into, but so far, I haven't had any trouble from them. Not sure why unless it's that they are on dirt that was "new" dirt, never used for chickens before the bantams got on it-used to be a strawberry patch. Could be my altitude, slightly less humidity overall than lower altitudes, even though it is the South.

I've read that some breeds are actually more prone and some less prone to coccidiosis. I wonder which category the D'Anvers fall into, but so far, I haven't had any trouble from them. Not sure why unless it's that they are on dirt that was "new" dirt, never used for chickens before the bantams got on it-used to be a strawberry patch. Could be my altitude, slightly less humidity overall than lower altitudes, even though it is the South.
Could be a breed thing. I have a lot of trouble with Light Sussex and d'Anvers. Last year was the first year there have been chickens on this ground, used to be woods and all of the top soil (the whole 1/2 inch) was gone by the time the house was built.

Mine seem to be sensitive but it is not super fatal anymore. I keep them on litter from day one and in hot weather, like right now - I see it flare up occasionally. I do not give any kind of medication - I actively breed for genetic resistance to it. I see a bird come down with it and I'll do a pen sweep (change the litter out to reduce the number of oocysts present, but I'm not super picky about it) and give the bird three days to pull out of it. If it doesn't recover - it and any others that fail to recover in three days are culled. I used to lose quite a few. Now it's down to about 2-3 a year out of 200 chicks. It's usually pretty damp out here on the coast and when you get heat and humidity - yeah that's when coccidia is at its worst. I still get ruffled birds at about 1-2 months of age during that kind of weather but usually they recover on their own just fine within about a week. I usually do not have relapses - but yes, there are different strains of coccidia that specialize in different sections of the intestine and I think the birds do have to build immunity to each. Other people have asked me if d'Anvers are just extra sensitive before, so other people probably have trouble too.

Edited to add: The coast is milder than other places so we usually don't have super hot weather for long - so we probably don't have as much of a problem with it here, which may help make breeding for genetic resistance a bit easier because I don't lose as many total. I hope your chickies are feeling better soon!

I like Mongo too - his looks and his name. The name sounds like it should be used to describe a lively form of dancing.

Last edited:
My new growing pens.

Sorted out my two brooders. Ended up with 15 cockerels.

And fourty couple pullets, Don't know how that happened, it usually don't for me. They are alittle crowded and I will move some next week, Just want to keep an eye on them a while.

Oh and " Candygram for Mongo!" (Blazing Saddles reference) Here is Alfalfa.

And last but not least the Pyncheons are looking better.
wee.gif

Last edited:
Coccidia - you all mean coccidia, right? Not cocci bacteria? Sorry about the technicalities, I work in a micro lab....
roll.png

Coccidia is kind of inevitable with most established flocks that are in a litter or floor based environment. It is everywhere. Really management of coccidiosis is more of a how you let the chicks build immunity before ground contact than prevention of exposure. Corrid is a coccidiostat, so it is a preventative measure for the infection that is bound to come since these chicks have presumably not been on the ground before and probably not exposed to coccidia. Coccidia immunity is usually built up gradually and when it hasn't been, the onslaught can come rapidly (within a week after exposure) and can be deadly for strains with no genetic immunity.

I would say JJ isn't exactly looking for trouble - he just knows whats around the corner and wants to make sure his babes are protected and ready to deal with it.

Kristen, Thanks for posting that!
I have argued til I'm blue in the face with fokes that it is called coccidia, and that cocci has just become the Internet short hand for it, now people think that's what it is when in fact cocci was a type of bacteria, not the little protozoan mongrel that gets in our birds. I didnt know all the in's and out's on how to properly tell them the difference , but from a micro lab tech, that get's it done. My avian lab here in GA all refers to it as coccidia too, but that never seemed to carry any weight??

oh well just had to get that out since it came up... I feel better now...LOL

Here it's horrible, think we have all 9 strains in GA seems like. I lost a ton of birds this year too it because we have been super wet along with our normal south Georgia 200 degree temps. which just made a petree dish for the lil buggers. The d'anvers seem to take it pretty well, some of my long tails fair poorer with it than they do, but it still gets 'em if you arent careful. Had a bout of it that Corrid just wouldnt fix this year too, but every lab test just showed coccidia in them. Had to start rotating treatments to get some results.

But yes its everywhere in every state, hot and arid states seem to be at a lower level than the hot and wet areas though.

Cynthia, yes being new ground, there is just most likely less of it around , which is great for you!!! That and it looks like you keep yours in immaculate condition too which plays a big role in keeping it beat back.

Back
Top Bottom