d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

I think as paranoid as Virginia is about chicken health they wouldn't miss much. But I don't have the mortality for Mereks. And it will clear up like over night which should rule out Lymphoid leukosis which really messes up the internals of a chicken.
Mine showed the same symptoms one time. I also took some to the state avian lab here in GA. They said the same thing, coccidia.
Mine are always on medicated feed and Corrid wasnt clearing it up either once I noticed it. Told him he needed to look deeper, but he said he had and that was all they showed.... who knows.... I honestly feel like there was something else going on. That was the super bad mega strain I had mentioned earlier. What ever it was got brooder chicks, as well as half grown ones in the grow out pens.
The chicks were fine to start, no bad poop or nothing, between day 7 and 10 every one was dead no matter what you did. Never got skinny, never pasted up. Fine today doa tomorrow. Now the grow out ones, yes ate like crazy, full crop, good activity, then you'd notice a droopy comb and pick them up and they werent anything but feathers.

Said all were just coccidia???? I questioned that ever since he said it, being a free lab here. I always wondered just how hard they tried.
Also thought that took 3 weeks to start effecting chicks as far as it's incubation time goes? Could be wrong but was often wondering how the 7-10 day range was their limit....

Would spraying the ground in the runs with Oxine help with the coccidia? I use it in their water containers and spray the cages, etc after scrubbing and set those out in the sun to dry. Same with all food cups and water containers.

I spray with Ivermectin barn spray for flies and bugs when the chickens are out freeranging and leave it to dry before letting them back inside. That helps with the flease, mites and lice too.

But I also get those "just feather" babies once in a while. More so when it is really hot like this week. I have two 4 month old cochins in a quarantine cage. Gave them a molasses drench and now am treating with Corid in their water, Tylan 50 shots and a booster food: 24 % protein range feed, medicated broiler crumbles, rolled oats, sterilized ground egg shells and Red Cell. They also get tomatoes and yogurt on the side.

I doubt it. It takes a sulfa type med to do anything to coccidias. They are pretty danf tuff, had a puppy with it once. My vet said pretty much on a stainless steal table, you can put them there, wash it down with straight bleach, the light it on fire and he could still find live bugs on it with his scope.... Pretty much he was just saying they aint easy to kill. I use Oxine here too. Boy it's great from a lot of stuff. Everything gets sprayed down, and they get a few cc's of it in the water too. Over all it really helps keep a lot of things beat down, but I dont think it would do much good against coccidia

Since coccidiosis is caused by a protozoan, not a bacteria or virus, I doubt Oxine would have an effect. The oocysts can be killed by ammonia as opposed to bleach, but in a pen situation, liming the heck out of it to change the pH and hopefully, make the environment inhospitable to the suckers would do better than using Oxine.

Corid is concentrated amprolium, not a sulfa drug, and it gets more types of oocysts than the Sulmet, BUT, there are new mutated strains, not one of the 9 named types, popping up all over that are resistant. The poultry lab said a double dosage of Corid should do better than the usual dosage for these types.

Last edited:
Since coccidiosis is caused by a protozoan, not a bacteria or virus, I doubt Oxine would have an effect. The oocysts can be killed by ammonia as opposed to bleach, but in a pen situation, liming the heck out of it to change the pH and hopefully, make the environment inhospitable to the suckers would do better than using Oxine.

Corid is concentrated amprolium, not a sulfa drug, and it gets more types of oocysts than the Sulmet, BUT, there are new mutated strains, not one of the 9 named types, popping up all over that are resistant. The poultry lab said a double dosage of Corid should do better than the usual dosage for these types.
Any idea what pH would be inhospitable. I know the dirt around here is on the low side of 7pH and I could get the extension office to tell me how much lime to use to hit a certain pH. If I knew what that number was.

Last edited:
lol not to interupt all the disease talk but just a quick question hey aubrey what do ya think my birds are lookin like now in the pictures i posted a few days ago
once again not meaning to interupt you guys
thanks

Any idea what pH would be inhospitable. I know the dirt around here is on the low side of 7pH and I could get the extension office to tell me how much lime to use to hit a certain pH. If I knew what that number was.
Wish I had a number to give you, JJ. I'd say anything drastically different than what is already there, but that may not be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom