deaths door peacock

Cctomboy88

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 14, 2016
Crawfordville, Fl
I bought a pair of Indian blue peacocks, about 2 years old, yesterday. When transferred them to my pen I noticed the male, who was said to have just been checked out by a vet with a clean bill of health, is nothing but bones. I don't feel any meat at a. He stood and walked around for just an hour, he did eat on his own, but has since laid down and will not stand up on his own at all.

We've been syringe feeding him start and grower mash mixed with water, which he seems to be slowly building strength, but still unwilling to attend on his own. P

Poop is very watery and white. I was told the poop was normal yesterday and they didn't realize he was as skinny as he is until they cought him yesterday. The hen seems fine, they brought 6 eggs said to be from them two. Unsure if they are fertile but put them in incubator today.

Any advice would help,

What kind of wormer would be best?

First order, Welcome to BYC you have arrived! I agree with q8. Safeguard goat dewormer (febenzadole) from tractor supply $24.99'ish a bottle. Do not mix in the water, i would administer down the throat (be mindful if his breathing hole just behind his tongue) 1.5cc initially and 1cc daily for 5 days and repeat 10 days later. Kathy will be here in a few with more info.
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

his poop is starting to take solidish form, but green in color. Could he have been starved or will worms alone deteriorate a peacock that bad? I haven't gotten my hands on the female yet, she's eating good, but definitely not a handled bird.

There are places in his breast areas I can touch my fingers together through his skin. One local man warned of worming him in such skinny condition, but wanting more opinions on that.

There are places in his breast areas I can touch my fingers together through his skin. One local man warned of worming him in such skinny condition, but wanting more opinions on that.

Worms slowly starve the animal of needed nutrients. Free range and wild birds carry worms but you would never know it because they have access to natural resources that help them to manage and control worms and other parasites both internal and external. Caged birds do not have this oppurtunity and are more sensitive to a parasite outbreak. I must disagree with your local friend and advise you to deworm them ASAP. I used to be an old school guy that might have given you bad advice until I came to my senses with the help of the great people on this board. It shames me to know how many birds I neglected over the years because I did not understand. I would almost bet that after a correct deworm and some good food that you will see a marked improvement in their health in just a few days. We are here to help you for sure. If you have an emergency you can go to our FB https://m.facebook.com/bobsgreenpeafowl/
or call 254 702-1563, Gerald Barker aka Bob call or text anytime,
1f44d.png
. Kathy and KSKingbee where are you guys?

Gerald Barker

Thank you, he's starting to put up more of a protest when I go to feed him, but still to weak to stand up. My husband is on his way home with some wormer now. 1.5cc first then 1cc a day after that? Also what would be the best food to feed at a time like this?

Honesty I never thought he would have made it through the day, I was wishing and hoping, but I've never seen a bird or any animal that boney and still be alive. My husband has works with the wild animal reduce near us and told me not to give up, but he's never had birds that come in that bad make it back. But any potentially helpful advice is always welcome.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom