Do you keep a dog you can't trust with your kid?

firetigris, definitely a good place to check out. The local humane society here doesn't offer anything like that but they are able to refer you to someone.

I agree, it's not an easy decision to put down a dog or any animal, but look at it this way. Sociopaths are born, not made, you cannot fix them and you need to keep them away from other people and many sociopaths do face the death penalty. Now I'm not going to get into a discussion about the death penalty, but there have been several cases where a dog seems to just have a mental problem, no amount of training or even a dog whisper can fix. If the dog is aggressive due to let's say a kid pulling on it's ears or something, that's one thing, but if you have a dog that seems fine one minute and snaps the next without a catalyst you have a problem. You either need to keep the dog caged and away from people for the rest of it's life, which honestly seems more inhumane to me, or you euthanize it. If I had a dog that could not be trusted and would snap for what seems to be no reason, I would first take it to the vet to make sure there is nothing medically wrong with it. Next I would take it to a professional dog trainer and not someone at Petsmart, someone that really knows and understands dogs, explain the situation and see what they suggest. Depending on the situation some dogs it may be something genetic that can't be fixed, sometimes it might be that the dog attacked because it felt threatened and it can be worked with. If it's a situation like the one I described with the dog coming up to you asking for a tummy rub, then attacking, that I would be putting down cause that's not normal dog behavior. A kid trying to take a dog's bone and it biting, that's natural behavior that can be curved in many situations. This is a tough situation and I don't know all the details, but I would take the dog to a vet for an evaulation then a professional trainer and get their opinions.

No not yet and not looking forward to it but I did my mother just recently :(

I would just try every possible option first that is me though.

I could not do it....with an animal not medically needing it.

There is other choices yet at this point imo.

easy way out?? seriously? It makes me wonder if you have ever spent weeks agonizing and crying over the decision to put down a dog. A dog that can't be trusted is next to IMPOSSIBLE to rehome. Even if you do find someone willing to take the dog, the original owner has to think about their potential liability issues (that is why rescues won't take a dog that isn't good with people). Other shelters will simply take the dog and have it euthanized.

A dog that can't be trusted is also next to impossible to live with. Why? Because we are human. Our body language gives off fear and distrust. This is upsetting to the dog who doesn't know what danger is making Mom so nervous. This causes distrust and behavior problems in the dog. Which leads to further distrust from the person.
Can some people handle it? Of course they can. But it requires a lot of time and money, something that not everyone is willing to invest.

If the OP is willing to spend the time to work with this dog - at least several hours a week in at-home exercise and training in addition to as classes with a behaviorist and trainer(another hour or so a week) - and the money - a good behaviorist with a track record of helping dogs with reactivity issues is going to run $200 or so depending on your area - then yes. She will also need to invest in a secure kennel that will allow ZERO access to children. That includes being designed that children can't approach the fence. My point was not that she shouldn't work with the dog. It was that, if she DOESN'T feel safe with the dog, euthanize him rather than pass the problem on to someone else. It is much more humane to give him a peaceful ending with the family he trusts than to let him live out his last days scared and alone. Especially since this dog has issues being afraid of strangers.

i would not use a e- collar because then the dog will be afraid to move around the yard. My friends used the e-collar and their dog was afraid to move a muscle.

i would not use a e- collar because then the dog will be afraid to move around the yard. My friends used the e-collar and their dog was afraid to move a muscle.

that means that your friends didn't know what they were doing. If the dog is afraid to move, that means that it doesn't know WHY it was punished. You have to first teach what you want and then add in the punishment. It's like me trying to teach you how to tie your shoes by smacking you in the head - instead I just toss you a shoe and then smack you every time you don't do what I want. You're more likely to quit trying than to keep guessing what I want.

I know this is an old thread but I have to respond to all of the people who suggested putting the dog down and tell them that they should be ashamed of themselves for suggesting such a thing! There are many dogs and people who dislike small children. There are also many many homes that do not have small children in them.Give the dog a chance at a good home. Just because its not a fit with you,dorsnt mean it wouldn't be a perfect pet for someone else.

We have a Shepard lab mix n she a herding dog she herds cows she likes to nip at my sons feet while he's running she not trying to bite him it's just wat she does when she herds cattle it's her natural institute

I know this is an old thread but I have to respond to all of the people who suggested putting the dog down and tell them that they should be ashamed of themselves for suggesting such a thing! There are many dogs and people who dislike small children. There are also many many homes that do not have small children in them.Give the dog a chance at a good home. Just because its not a fit with you,dorsnt mean it wouldn't be a perfect pet for someone else.

And why should anyone be ashamed of putting down a dog that is a danger to children? If anyone should be ashamed, its the people trying to save a biting, dangerous dog. Even if the dog goes to a home without children, there is no guarantee it won't be out and about someday and bite a child that approaches it unexpectedly. Child biting dogs don't get free passes!

Some dogs are born with unstable temperments and it's not really anyone's fault they turn out the way they do. It sounds like you have tried really hard to manage his behavior and make things work. Honestly I feel your pain, I just went through making this kind of decision last Christmas.

I recently put down a dog I really cared about due to aggression problems. My husband found him in the garbage as a very tiny puppy and I nursed him back to health feeding him goats milk. We had no idea what kind of dog he was but as he grew he developed a very strong prey drive. If he had been given the chance I think he would have killed the cat. He was also very dog aggressive and I broke up some major dog fights between him and our other dogs one of which would fight back and the other just took the beating until we saved him. Yelling worked to stop him at first but he got worse. We knew we had a problem and while we were trying to figure our what to do with him he crossed the line. He and our female were barking at something and he just snapped. He attacked and tried to kill her then turned on my husband when he tried to stop him. He was clamped down so hard on her throat he was going to kill her and he wouldn't let go. My husband pried his jaws off her and he turned and bit his arm then two of them had their own fight and it was over. Thankfully Dh was wearing a heavy winter work jacket and only received bruises... We put the dog down the next day and I won't lie, it hurt me badly because I looked at him and saw my sweet puppy that loved to lay his head in my lap.... Explaining to our daughter was worse, I said he had to go away and she wanted him to come back, I couldn't tell her what happend she was only 3. I wanted to try to retrain him, make him better, but he was a very strong dog and the consequences for failing could have been devastating, what if my daughter had tried to break up that fight...
I only had one answer. Sometimes being a parent really sucks, you have to make hard decisions and sometimes it hurts.

If you can take your dog in to the shelter they maybe able to give you a fair evaluation of your dog and what your options are.
Wishing you the best of luck, and hoping you find an answer...

Hugs

And why should anyone be ashamed of putting down a dog that is a danger to children? If anyone should be ashamed, its the people trying to save a biting, dangerous dog. Even if the dog goes to a home without children, there is no guarantee it won't be out and about someday and bite a child that approaches it unexpectedly. Child biting dogs don't get free passes!

X2! It is inexcuseable to put the life of an aggressive/biting dog before the safety of any child, or anyone, it may come in contact with. People have families who may have children, they may have neighbors who have children, the dog could get out... the possibilities are endless. There is also huge liability involved in rehoming a dog that is a known biter.

Back
Top Bottom