dog is KILLING all of my chickens!

A
At that point you know he is a danger to you and your family. Not only are you protecting your flock by dealing with that animal(shooting or calling animal control) you are protecting your family and others. I'd be calling before the dog was released again, tell them the dog has attacked you and your family.
Well, you all know me and what I say when it comes to scumbag neighbor dogs or strays coming on my property and killing my flock, and if you don't it's worth repeating:

S - S - S
Shoot - Shovel - Shut Up

Sorry if this offends anyone, but that's just the way it is with me. I'm not going to play "nice" when I've put all the blood, sweat, and tears into my little flock. They are not just chickens...they are my friends...and friends don't let friends get ripped to shreds because some jackass has decided to let their dog(s) roam wherever they wish....

(Off my soapbox...for now)

I have the same exact problem with people dumping dogs. I've caught 4 in the past few years. Just catch him and call animal control. I wonder about all the people saying to shoot the dog. How many have actually done it? I bet not as many people that are telling you to shoot him.
Agrees.

Quote: Oh, I've done it...hated to, but I've done it. I ended up burying it with one of my chickens still in it's mouth. Not saying it was easy...it wasn't but necessary. Don't get me wrong, I won't shoot a dog (or any predator for that matter) just because he's invaded my property. But if it takes one step towards my chickens....end of story.

Calling animal control sounds like a good option, until you look at the facts. Only about 10% of stray dogs picked up by animal control ever get a home. They will spend several weeks in a small cage and probably end up euthanized anyway. A well placed bullet ends it's suffering as well as yours and your livestock's instantly. It may be unpleasant, but so is losing your flock. I would only shoot this stray after I made sure it was a stray. I have seen how animal control houses and disposes of unwanted animals, a bullet is far more humane.

Oh, I've done it...hated to, but I've done it. I ended up burying it with one of my chickens still in it's mouth. Not saying it was easy...it wasn't but necessary. Don't get me wrong, I won't shoot a dog (or any predator for that matter) just because he's invaded my property. But if it takes one step towards my chickens....end of story.

I think it's also important to point out that you don't really know what you would do until you're standing there looking at a dog with your dead chicken hanging from it's mouth. I generally fall on the side of the fence that advocates "shooing" rather than "shooting." However, I haven't had to face a stray dog murdering my chickens.

Personally, shooting a dog is not for me. Whether it's a neighbor's roaming dog or an aggressive stray (I've had those too). I firmly believe there is no such thing as a dog problem - there are only people problems. Someone, somewhere failed that stray dog that is starving. It got loose, it was dumped, momma dog was never spayed, whatever. It isn't the dog's fault and I don't like killing animals for just following their instincts.

But to each his own. I don't begrudge anyone for shooting an attacking dog. I just feel sad. I also realize that one day it might be my turn in the rodeo and things might look a whole lot different when I'm the one standing in the ring.

I need to throw something in here about "animal control". Where I live, WE are animal control. Sure, I could call the sheriff's dept. and they'd tell me to shoot the dog. I'm willing to give a dog and it's owner a chance. Things happen, dogs get out, they may happen by and find your feathery playthings. Around here, we pretty much know which dogs belong where, and will talk to the owners first. Good relations with neighbors is important, I think. There are neighbors that will tie their dogs up to prevent further problems, and there are those who may shoot their own dog for killing animals. The important thing is, I'd try to find out where the dog belongs, if it was a one-time event or what. Now, if the dog were a chronic problem, a more permanent solution to the problem may have to be implemented.

We are in a rural area. Our neighbors down the road have a pair of hound mixes (two males, unfixed) who they let run loose. They started coming up to our house and bothering our dogs every afternoon. This was when the chicks were still indoors in their brooder so they never got a chicken, thankfully. But they would harass our female dog and one of them growled at me when I told him to shoo. So the next time they came around, DH got out his pellet gun and one well-aimed shot to the hind end did the trick. Huge "yelp!" and we haven't seen them again in over 2 months.

We brought our house a couple years ago in an effort to be close to my mom, who is sick. We did not know the neighborhood and my children and I took out dogs for a walk to meet the neighbors and introduce ourselves. We got to the first cross street and a pack of feral dogs came at us, chasing us all the way home. Then the feral dogs started coming into the yard through a hole in the fence, which we have since repaired, and would growl at us. Those dogs also started killing cats. One day they had my outside cat cornered, I grabbed a pipe that I had just ripped out from our shower and replaced and laid into those dogs to save my cat. At the time I didn't want to shoot someone's pet. Patches, my cat, had some marks but was OK, and we have reinforced the fences because we now have chickens, ducks, and geese. I also have 2 loaded pistols and a shotgun ready. These dogs are so mangy and sick that I know they have never seen a vet. The owners don't care, the sheriff gets call all the time but can't do anything, and animal control won't even bother to come out here. So knowing all that, if those dogs come back, I am shooting to kill. I think in their case it would be kinder than letting them die slowly of starvation and disease. Now if my next door neighbors pit bull came in, I'd catch him and take him home. The neighbor and I are friendly, and watch out for each other as we are the only 2 with chickens in the area. We have a mutual defense pact against the strays to protect our flocks.

What makes this pack of feral dogs really dangerous is that the people started feeding a few dumped dogs so they wouldn't starve. But nothing more, now there are unspayed females and the pack is close to a dozen strong, some get hit by cars and trucks, some get killed by other dogs. The people feed a small amount of food, not enough for all the dogs, so the dogs fight for food making them aggressive. They have killed 3 pet dogs who were in their own yards, countless cats, and took some of my neighbors chickens until he shot 1 of the dogs. They have also bitten a 15 year old boy on his way home from school. So while I have yet to shoot a dog, I will if any of those dogs set foot in my yard.

Last edited:
We brought our house a couple years ago in an effort to be close to my mom, who is sick. We did not know the neighborhood and my children and I took out dogs for a walk to meet the neighbors and introduce ourselves. We got to the first cross street and a pack of feral dogs came at us, chasing us all the way home. Then the feral dogs started coming into the yard through a hole in the fence, which we have since repaired, and would growl at us. Those dogs also started killing cats. One day they had my outside cat cornered, I grabbed a pipe that I had just ripped out from our shower and replaced and laid into those dogs to save my cat. At the time I didn't want to shoot someone's pet. Patches, my cat, had some marks but was OK, and we have reinforced the fences because we now have chickens, ducks, and geese. I also have 2 loaded pistols and a shotgun ready. These dogs are so mangy and sick that I know they have never seen a vet. The owners don't care, the sheriff gets call all the time but can't do anything, and animal control won't even bother to come out here. So knowing all that, if those dogs come back, I am shooting to kill. I think in their case it would be kinder than letting them die slowly of starvation and disease. Now if my next door neighbors pit bull came in, I'd catch him and take him home. The neighbor and I are friendly, and watch out for each other as we are the only 2 with chickens in the area. We have a mutual defense pact against the strays to protect our flocks.

What makes this pack of feral dogs really dangerous is that the people started feeding a few dumped dogs so they wouldn't starve. But nothing more, now there are unspayed females and the pack is close to a dozen strong, some get hit by cars and trucks, some get killed by other dogs. The people feed a small amount of food, not enough for all the dogs, so the dogs fight for food making them aggressive. They have killed 3 pet dogs who were in their own yards, countless cats, and took some of my neighbors chickens until he shot 1 of the dogs. They have also bitten a 15 year old boy on his way home from school. So while I have yet to shoot a dog, I will if any of those dogs set foot in my yard.
It is stories like yours that bolster my courage to employ S-S-S .. shoot - shovel - shut up . I'm so sorry you have been plagued by someone else's discards. Wishing you well!

Glad I'm not your neighbor if that was my dog I'd like to know (I know I'm not as he's been chained for several days due to wandering over to the neighbor's house) so that I could make good on my dog's behaviour, deal with both my dog, and you without losing my dog to an angry neighbor's shot gun, Just a thought, if it was your dog wouldn't you want to know, so you had the chance to do something about it yourself, and try to make things right with your neighbor.

I think the OP stated its likely a stray as dogs are dumped in her location.

We had a neighbors dog in my backyard. Luckily it was only chasing my chickens. We didn't shoot it only because we were not confident in the laws of livestock protection. We educated ourselves quick and returned the dog to the owner and let him know that next time it sets foot in our yard we will destroy it. And inform the police.

As much as the dog could be someone's family pet, once it kills it will likely do it again.

I think the OP should secure her chickens, but also find a way to remove the dog. Either SSS or having animal control come and collect it.

Back
Top Bottom