Dominique Thread!

Thanks to all.

Well, actually, there's quite a lot that we could do to keep birds warm enough. We have access to enough large round hay bales, that we could surround a coop and run. Already have the tractor with hay claw...

We could even leave a round bale inside their run, if we plan wisely.

I have to laugh about how expensive these eggs will be, lol. But, if I can get a flock large enough to keep ahead of the predators and keep the tick/snake population under control, i'll be tickled.

That might be near impossible(keeping ahead of predators), so will be thinking of just a small breeder flock and perhaps spring ordering a hundred or so cockerels for ranging and fall freezer. Probably have to order rangers through a hatchery, as so few folks here have day olds for shipping. I didn't really want to get into the hatching of fertile eggs, although that looks like the easier path to quality breeder stock.

Now the avian flu restrictions complicate purchasing chicks from many of the smaller breeders.

Centrachid, can you explain what you meant by 'the first cock of 2015' ...(maybe I missed something in an earlier post?) Do you mean that he's the first to be culled from the program this year???? or that he is a 2015 young cockeral that has poor fertility/sperm count? I don't know if that is a dumb question or not, but was just reading about how pea or rose comb breeds have some problems (depending on breed and line/strain). Anybody want to comment on dom fertility, in their experience, just chime in...(probably treading on slippery slopes, here, leave it to the newie to blurt out questions about a breed's closet skeletons, lol)

Three males (cocks) will get shot in breeding pen during 2015 with same group of hens. First cock hatched late 2009 got his go for about 45 days, and second (hatched 2011) will get his 45 days starting yesterday to be followed by third (hatched 2013) getting his 45 days after that. Eggs to be kept for hatching only from the latter three weeks of each 45 day interval.

All survived multiple rounds of culling previously and eldest likely to be retired shortly. Others may or may not get another pass in coming year. Fertility of doms is not as good as some breeds. Hatchery strains likely to be superior on that account.

Well, a six year old cock starting to loose fertility is better than I expected. If that is normal, I can live with that. In fact, with my getting up in years, now, a six year old bird may out live my bird projects and me, lol. But, then again, I may be at it for the next twenty or thirty years, if I'm lucky!

Kylea, ...nice! Hens look happy. I noticed all your trees, right off. Our forty acres has a tree...a small one. Also, a few chokecherries, juneberries, buckbrush galore. We planted a shelterbelt, but it will take a few years to even really see 'trees', as they were mostly just seedlings planted last year. People hear about how many trees we've planted, and they ask 'where'?

I should raise ducks, lol. Seems they thrive in this area. DH washed the outside of windows the other day. Yesterday, our house got splatted really good (sounded like hail hitting the windows), with the hard winds and ducky doo. Murphy's law is working.

Watched three hawks(?, or something similar) hunting our property, mostly all day, yesterday. They were really harassing the wild ducks that were feeding (or nesting?) in the low areas. Had no idea there were that many ducks out there, till they started popping out of the dense weeds. They really ARE going to be a problem with my racing pigeons and any free rangers.

I have been eyeing this breed for awhile now and when ordering hatching eggs for more brabanters, found the breeder had these as well. eggs arrive next week. Getting the "maternity ward" out of the closet. :D

Excited to share my babies with everyone! I have three Dominiques in my flock. Dixie, Sage and Vivian. Dixie definitely rules the roost and is the sweetest chicken I have! Sage has severe curled toes that even boots wouldn't fix, but it doesn't bother her a bit. Still praying all three are pullets ;) Also in my flock are two Blue Silkie Bantams, two Tolbunt Polish, two Silver Sebright Bantams and two Easter Eggers.
1f413.png

Excited to share my babies with everyone! I have three Dominiques in my flock. Dixie, Sage and Vivian. Dixie definitely rules the roost and is the sweetest chicken I have! Sage has severe curled toes that even boots wouldn't fix, but it doesn't bother her a bit. Still praying all three are pullets
wink.png
Also in my flock are two Blue Silkie Bantams, two Tolbunt Polish, two Silver Sebright Bantams and two Easter Eggers.
1f413.png

So sorry about the curled toes on your chick but better than something more severe like a crossed beak, etc. Dom chicks are such cutie pies!
Dominiquechicken.com used to have photos showing how to ID day-old chicks male from female and it seems to be deleted now. Anyway the ID for female chicks was a tight white dot on the top of the head where a fainter scattered white splashing going possibly even down the back of the neck indicated males. Also the females had dark strips down the front leg and the tops of the toes where the males didn't. I don't raise chicks but this was the guideline I used when purchasing my chick at my favorite feed store to assure myself of a female chick - and it was. She had both the tight smaller white dot just on the top of her head (nowhere on her neck at all) and she had the dark leg/toe top shading.

Back
Top Bottom