Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

As to the cold discussion, I live in Alaska at latitude 59 and at an elevation of 1,300 feet. I have a crazy amount of wind, at times I have many feet of snow. I only rarely get below -10F, so actually not too cold.

Mine do great, I haven't ever lost one due to the winter weather.

-- What made you decide to get this breed?

1. I heard that they were much cleaner than mallard type ducks and
2. Someone sold her flock for a good price

---Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?

The kids and I love their personalities, we love the way they taste, and I sell the ducklings.

-- What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?

They are much less messy than the mallard type ducks, and I love the fact that they are very smart, gorgeous (once you get over the caruncles), are great mothers, and wag their tails. They are also very low maintenance.

--Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

The orchard/main duck pen

Here are a few of the new Muscovies that we picked up last week. Pictures were taken the day we got home and began processing them, a mist of VetRX, plenty of food and water with vitamins and electrolytes. The garage was a mess and even more of a mess once we began to move them out to the duck and geese pens!! Very timid but we're being very patient and hospitable with our new friends.

Are Muscovies happier to have other muscovies with them? We have one female muscovy with four ducks, and while she does seem to definitely like them, she spends a lot of time off on her own (Lately that means escaping into the overgrown part of the garden we don't want her in because there may be snakes and there definitely is ticks...). We can get her another female muscovy companion if that would make her happier. She talks to herself, chatters, plays in the pond, she'll bite the others for food and chase them out of the pond sometimes. She follows the others around and sleeps with them usually, but she definitely seems to be the odd one out.

I can't address the social aspect but one thing I can answer is the tick problem. You just solved it with a Muscovy. They are bug eating machines!!! We only have Scovies so I'm not sure about other breeds but ours have almost completely eradicated the ticks on our property. So I say let her dine in your garden to her hearts content. And get her another Scovie just to play it safe. :lol:

I X2 what @jchny2000 posted. None of our drakes have ever exhibited behavior like that, even during the height of mating season. I've used pinning on a White Chinese gander and it has worked wonders. He's the nicest squealing pest we have now. And he doesn't think about lowering his head and charging me any more. Once was enough. What we like, a quick learner! As for our Muscovy drakes, they're horny, but not aggressive to anyone other than lady ducks!! Around the ducklings and adolescents, they're the protective ones. One firm hand at the base of their neck and the other between their wings on their back and slow steady pressure until they lay on the ground. It only takes a few seconds and they get the point.

My main duck hen is already setting a nest in a dead tree. The boys get pretty bad come spring. If they show any aggression or interest in chickens, they go. I have had chicken hens and roosters killed by ducks, trying to mate them. Its best to limit drakes in a small farm setting. They are dominant and aggressive towards other drakes. Or confine them, so they won't have access to the whole mixed flock.
Drakes have very long, sharp claws. Fight hard, flog, so be prepared if you plan to keep a large flock of them. I have had my arms and legs scratched up pretty bad stopping fights.
Sadly, we had to get rid of the bigger male two days ago. It was so much more emotional than butchering roosters. Now we have one male and two females, and things are better for the females. The remaining male does not show aggression toward any chickens, but is intimidated by them, and seems to have a very good temperment with being gentlemanly.

Last edited:
Quote: I can't do "it" unless I have no other choice. Its hard and painful to let them go.I hand raise everything here, and when it comes to a decision its hard. You made a good choice to keep harmony in your mixed flock.
We do raise animals for food here. But its really hard deciding fate at times, especially when you had hoped to keep a specific bird.

Hi there!
I am new to muscovies. I have hand raised welsh harlequins, rouens, black swedish and cayuga ducks.
I took in a rescued chocolate muscovy duckling at 5 days old after snow killed the rest of the hatch and the owner did not have time. Do you find your muscovies have different personality traits than other ducks? Penelope is amazing. Very bright, curious and very different from any other breed I have raised.
Thank you!
Picture for cuteness factor!

Attachments

• IMG_20180928_145456_495.jpg
    IMG_20180928_145456_495.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 10
I do not have a drake. We had to lock the duck house up for about two weeks during -40C temps most recently. Maybe this is what kicked off her protectiveness? I had quite a bit of concern over her feet. When she leaves the duck house she can be quite silly and stand in the snow not on the hay I have layed outside. I am not sure why. Here are some pictures from just now after her bath. I always bring in her in for her bathtime. She seems a bit better once inside. She has never liked my husband though and as you can see in the third picture she is still filled with contempt just listening to him talk in the other room. Lol!! I have never seen her touch eggs before.

Attachments

• 20190221_180649.jpg
    20190221_180649.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20190221_180624.jpg
    20190221_180624.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190221_175039.jpg
    20190221_175039.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom