Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

If the other girls are laying she may just feel protective of their eggs do you ever see her messing around with the eggs in the nest? Boy I can tell you for sure they are very protective of their nest and their ducklings. Once they go broody it is very hard to break them. Do you care if she hatches or do you even have a drake? Please post some pics side views and front view thanks.

I do not have a drake. We had to lock the duck house up for about two weeks during -40C temps most recently. Maybe this is what kicked off her protectiveness? I had quite a bit of concern over her feet. When she leaves the duck house she can be quite silly and stand in the snow not on the hay I have layed outside. I am not sure why. Here are some pictures from just now after her bath. I always bring in her in for her bathtime. She seems a bit better once inside. She has never liked my husband though and as you can see in the third picture she is still filled with contempt just listening to him talk in the other room. Lol!! I have never seen her touch eggs before.

Attachments

• 20190221_180649.jpg
    20190221_180649.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20190221_180624.jpg
    20190221_180624.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190221_175039.jpg
    20190221_175039.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 11
I have not heard any trilling since a baby. Only hissing and raspy hohohohohoho. So puffing?? Should I video the sound? Will he try to mate my little ducks if a drake?

Last edited:
Thank you both! Luckily we have always called the duck Pei-Pei; shortened from Penelope. I have always just somehow had girls and I randomly adopt my ducks as unwanted babies. Any advice for me with my drake? I don't like having morning upset when I give treats.

Yes he will mate you females but no worries he I no different than any other domestic drake with regard to mating habit and actually not near as aggressive say as a Pekin drake in his mating behavior. Only difference is if you let your females brood or you incubate the off spring will be sterile.

But when my young drake began thinking of me as his mating partner I came on here and some of the educators at that time gave me some good advise and it worked [not over night and consistency is needed] But anytime he comes at you aggressive and we can read these signs make him back off you can use a broom or a long pole but keep him away from you. Don't try and pet him or hand feed him till he respects you. If he continues to try and jump on you then you'll need to lay him flat on his belly neck down with one hand on his neck the other at base of tail You can even straddle him and use your knee to help they are very strong. But you are showing him you are dominant over him and your not going to put up with his behavior. Believe me this works My Muscovy drake is now going on 8 yrs old and very seldom do I even have to remind him where his place is with me. He is an awesome drake. You not hurting him just holding him still till he stops fighting dominant drakes do this to teach upstarts where their place is in the flock. So this is what you are doing. I have never had to do this with any drake that was raised by it's mama only my drake that was hand raised by me . They get confused when a human raises them. But they can learn. So don't give up. Just be consistent in your training and come back here if you need help.

The young ‘Scovy sisters (and Daphne) were in rare form just now as I went in to clean and encourage them to get out and get some sun. Forgive the mess . This was clearly before cleaning!

Edited to add - 1) Who says that Muscovy ducks are quiet?! :lau 2) Egg watch continues. Judging by their hormonal teenage behavior, I don’t think we have long to wait! :pop 3) Goon 2 is possibly the cutest duck out there, although Goon 1’s head bob is clearly superior!

Last edited:
Thank you @Miss Lydia !! I will refrain from pats until Peip is not attempting to bite me at the duck house and in a better mood. Last night I brought him in for bath time. Once he was away from the duck shed and in the house he was much better behaved. He snuggled, had head pats and was back to his old self after an hour long bath playtime in the clawfoot tub (his longest time spent to date!). So I am thinking it is definitely defensive behaviour around his 3 ladies and their nests/eggs. To further confirm the suspicion this morning when I went out have duckie treat time, he was back to guarding and biting behaviour. So I will try picking him up and carrying him each time we meet. No treats until he is calm. I will have to let you know how well it all goes.

Back
Top Bottom