Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

The young ‘Scovy sisters (and Daphne) were in rare form just now as I went in to clean and encourage them to get out and get some sun. Forgive the mess . This was clearly before cleaning!

Edited to add - 1) Who says that Muscovy ducks are quiet?! :lau 2) Egg watch continues. Judging by their hormonal teenage behavior, I don’t think we have long to wait! :pop 3) Goon 2 is possibly the cutest duck out there, although Goon 1’s head bob is clearly superior!

They look like they're in a rock band!

The young ‘Scovy sisters (and Daphne) were in rare form just now as I went in to clean and encourage them to get out and get some sun. Forgive the mess . This was clearly before cleaning!

Edited to add - 1) Who says that Muscovy ducks are quiet?! :lau 2) Egg watch continues. Judging by their hormonal teenage behavior, I don’t think we have long to wait! :pop 3) Goon 2 is possibly the cutest duck out there, although Goon 1’s head bob is clearly superior!

I've seen several videos with muscovies making that same rather loud honking sound, even though "official" sources seem to indicate they are extremely quiet. Do they get quieter as they got older or something? I'm thinking about getting some, and the "hissing and quiet whistle-like clucks instead of loud quacks" is a lot of the appeal, as I don't want to bother my neighbors. But it seems like that might not always be true? I'd love to hear people's experiences with noise.

I've seen several videos with muscovies making that same rather loud honking sound, even though "official" sources seem to indicate they are extremely quiet. Do they get quieter as they got older or something? I'm thinking about getting some, and the "hissing and quiet whistle-like clucks instead of loud quacks" is a lot of the appeal, as I don't want to bother my neighbors. But it seems like that might not always be true? I'd love to hear people's experiences with noise.

The loud one that you hear is my Rouen, Daphne. The quieter high-pitched trilling is coming from my Muscovy girls :)

Edited to add - my girls also make a “chirp CHIRP!” sound when broody or about to become broody, but the sound still doesn’t carry like the loud quacks of my Rouen. I wouldn’t call my Muscovy hens quiet as such, as they love to chatter away to each other and Daphne, but their sounds are pleasant and not too loud. I’ve never worried about them annoying my neighbor, but I have worried about Daphne.

Edited one more time to add that most of the excited sounds come when they regroup after time apart or just before heading out on an adventure :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom