Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Pics
I wanted to get muscovies because I think they're beautiful and so unique compared to all of the other Duck breeds. I got 3 but sadly they all ended up being drakes so they are no longer with me
sad.png

Here are just a few pictures of them. I have tons of pics!

They were awesome and they loved me. Whenever they would see me they would run to me wagging their tails and hissing at me. Adorable little guys.

They did start snapping at my little fur-baby and chasing him around as you can see in this last picture.

I hope to add at least 1 or 2 females to my flock of Welsh Harlequin ducks as i really do have a great appreciation for this amazingly unique breed of ducks.

chocolate is a sex linked recessive gene. Basically this.means it takes 1 copy to make a female chocolate and 2 copies to make a male chocolate. A male can carry chocolate and not show it while a female can only show chocolate if she carries it. If she doesn't show it, then she doesn't carry it. No one can ever have a chocolate split pullet. This is the possible genetic crossings from chocolate and black.
Chocolate Male X Chocolate Female = 100% Chocolate

Black Male X Chocolate Female = 50% Black Males carrying Chocolate, 50% Black Females

Chocolate Male X Black Female = 50% Black Males carrying Chocolate, 50% Chocolate Females

Black Male carrying Chocolate X Chocolate Female = 25% Chocolate Males, 25% Black Males carrying Chocolate, 25% Chocolate Females, 25% Black Females

Black Male carrying Chocolate X Black Female = 25% Black Males carrying Chocolate, 25% Black Males, 25% Chocolate Females, 25% Black Females.
If you add blue to the mix then here are your color possibilities. Exchange the word mauve (used in chickens) for the word lavender in ducks. A mauve splash in chickens would be a lilac in ducks.

Chocolate male x blue female = 25% mauve female, 25% chocolate female, 25% blue males carrying chocolate, 25% black males carrying chocolate

Chocolate male x mauve female = 25%mauve female, 25%chocolate female, 25% mauve male, 25% chocolate male.

Mauve male x chocolate female = (same as previous cross)

Mauve male x mauve female = 12.5% chocolate male, 12.5% chocolate female, 25% mauve males, 25% mauve females, 12.5 mauve splash males, 12.5 % mauve splash females.

Mauve splash male x mauve splash female = 50% mauve splash males, 50% mauve splash females

Mauve splash male x chocolate female = 50% mauve males, 50% mauve females

chocolate male x mauve splash female = (same as previous cross)

mauve male x black female = 25% black males,25% blue males(all males carry chocolate in this cross), 25% chocolate female, 25% mauve female
No, lavender is the term used in ducks for chocolate and blue together. Lavender is chickens is a completely different gene and is a recessive that requires 2 copies of it no matter what in order to make a bird lavender.
Now in chickens if you add blue into the mix you can get a mauve or in ducks it's called a lavender. In chickens you can get mauve splash and in ducks this is called lilac.
-Kathy

Edited to add:
Copied from https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/760871/call-ducks-finally-hatched

Last edited:

Top picture is one of "The twins" Bottom is 4 of the 5 headed out to bother the neighbors :) We rescued 6 (lost one to a snapper) in the spring from a farmer who was getting over run by ducklings. We love watching them and their silly antics. They have free range of our yard and a large natural pond. We will be herding them into a coop in the next week for the winter. Their names are Elliot, #5 (hes always last) The Twins and Lucy.

Top picture is one of "The twins" Bottom is 4 of the 5 headed out to bother the neighbors :) We rescued 6 (lost one to a snapper) in the spring from a farmer who was getting over run by ducklings. We love watching them and their silly antics. They have free range of our yard and a large natural pond. We will be herding them into a coop in the next week for the winter. Their names are Elliot, #5 (hes always last) The Twins and Lucy.
Beautiful Scovy's Welcome to BYC @rebfost

Back
Top Bottom