Duck Pond/pool pictures

Water is still clean and clear today. No water changes yet!!! Plants and ducks are happy!

Selfie with the Ducks! Lol

Thank you everyone! Hope this helps anyone looking to install a cheap DIY duck pond....

This is an extra container I had in the shed that I used, before I painted it. I basically place a few bricks on the bottom in a triangle, then 1/2" mesh wire layed across, next put some cheap bird/deer block on top of the wire (this prevents pebble rocks from falling through) and add a bag of pebble rocks. I cut a milk crate in half and placed upside down on rocks with some large sponges inside that I found on the tile isle at home depot inside. I grabbed some Taro plants I found growing on the edge of the creek behind my house here in Florida, some Dollarweed in my garden and a few Iris plants out of the garden and placed the roots through the holes in the milk crate. Last I ran the pump hose down the inside to the bottom of the container and filled in around the plants with another bag of pea pebbles...
*Make sure to rinse all of the pebbles before placing inside*
For the hole cut out, I used a 3" PVC adapter with a rubber toilet bowl flange. Cut an angle on the PVC, screwed it into the container and painted the whole thing to look like a whiskey barrel!
I recently found that leaving the pump on the bottom, the intake quickly fills up with crap...... So I decided to make a DIY skimmer. One little organization bin, a drill with bit, hole saw bit, and 2 zip ties later.... A skimmer. I just made a 1/4" mesh cover and placed some pine needles inside as a type of debris filter.
It's been working flawlessly! I just remove mesh and spray with hose to rinse off every few days.

Both pictures are great.

chickensioux, is that a kiddie pool? I love the set up, it looks very neat. I'm assuming it's a kiddie pool and you dump it daily?

DMFarm, what is the filter system you use? What are overall pond dimensions with depth? Gallons used? Wow, you only drain it twice a year?

In the past I've shied away from getting into a filtering system because I have only read negative feedback on using filters with waterfowl but I'd really like to build one around 7' x 7' and finding an appropriate filtering system would be great so I wouldn't have to drain it as much. Am VERY interested in the detail of the filtering system (can you tell?
lol.png
)

I've got 3 ducks now but have several coming from Metzers in a few weeks so I need something that can support 6-10 ducks (all light breeds).

Love seeing everyone's ponds!
Thought I'd share ours, we live in the city with a small yard, shared by 3 ducks, two small children and 1 cat.
Here is the ducks' daytime run where they stay if we are not outside with them, notice their "pond" in the very back:

A close up of their bath tub "pond"

I love the bathtub because it it deep enough for them to dive, notice Shadow, our black, with her tail in the air. Also I think the larger volume of water, along with the ramp help keep it cleaner longer than the little turtle pool we use when they are loose in the yard. Of course they still get it filthy with their poo, but they don't track much mud in, so it can stay clean for about a week before I empty it. I hope to eventually get it hooked up to a hose so I can water our whole yard with the duck water, for now there is a small trench dug from the drain pipe around a rose bush and ending up between two fruit trees, our Lime tree has never been happier!

Back
Top Bottom